MU Closed Today
Millersville University will be closed today, March 5, 2015, due to snow.
Stained Glass Windows
There are two stained glass windows located in Caputo Hall/Roddy Science Center. Both were originally from the chapel of Old Main and each includes two of the three possible pieces in the set. The two windows are “Justice” and “Science.”
The “Justice” window was placed in the chapel of Old Main in 1876. It was then restored and relocated to the lobby of Caputo Hall in 2006. The window is restored in memory of Dr. George R. Anderson, professor of mathematics from 1946 to 1969 and department chair from 1958 to 1966, according to the plaque next to the window. It was presented by his wife Dorothy Anderson and daughters, Carol Snyder and Barbara Stitchberry. The window features the middle piece, the figure of Lady Justice, with scales suspended from her left hand, which measures the strengths of a case's support and opposition, and also the bottom piece, which features the Normal School class pin design, which is a lamp in front of a keystone, symbolizing the lamp of learning for education acquired at Millersville and the keystone, representing the support of the school by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The “Science” window was originally located in the chapel of Old Main in 1879, but then was restored and placed in the Caputo lobby in 2006. It was restored in memory of William H. Caulwell, associate professor of science and biology from 1946-1964. It was presented by his wife, Virginia Caulwell-Karel and daughter Oak Sky. The window has the middle and bottom pieces. They display a figure holding a chalice to represent Science, along with the Normal School class pin design, which is a lamp in front of a keystone, symbolizing the lamp of learning for education acquired at Millersville and the keystone, representing the support of the school by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.