Replacing Immigration Documents

Replacing Immigration Documents

Replacing Immigration Documents

Be sure to keep your immigration documents in a safe place at all times and report lost or stolen immigration documents immediately to Global Education. You should always keep a copy of your original documents somewhere safe, in a separate location from the original documents, in the case that one is lost or stolen. Ensure that all documents are valid and up to date before traveling. 


The passport is the legal document issued by your country of citizenship; it must be valid for 6 months into the future upon your entry into the U.S. and remain valid at all times during your stay. The passport can usually be renewed through your embassy or one of your consulates in the United States. For information regarding your closest embassy or consulate locations visit

I-20 & DS-2019 - "Certificate of Eligibility”

The I-20 (for those with F-1 status) or DS-2019 (for those with J-1 status) is the document which you must present to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad to obtain a visa and which you present to immigration officials to enter the U.S. each time you travel abroad and return; for most Millersville University students the I-20 is issued by the university through Global Education. Some J-1 students have documents issued by an outside agency. You should always keep these and any other immigration documents for your records even if you get new ones in the future. If your I-20 is damaged, lost or stolen, visit Global Education and request a new form.

I-94 Departure Record

The electronic I-94 is the document that authorizes you to be in the U.S. as a student for a specified period of time, for the specified program of study, at the institution specified on the I-20/DS-2019. For F-1 and J-1 visa holders, the expiration date should be D/S (duration of status), which implies the date of program completion (not always the same date as graduation). The I-94, like the passport, must be valid at all times. To retrieve your most recent I-94, visit 

Entry visa

The entry visa is a sticker with photograph on a page of your passport that permits you to enter the U.S. Individuals entering the U.S. as an international student will have either an F-1 or J-1 entry visa. The visa may expire while you are in the U.S.; you cannot and need not renew it while you are here, however a new entry visa will be required if the original expires and you travel outside and then wish to re-enter the U.S. You must present a valid SEVIS form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) from the school you will attend to the US Consular officer to obtain your entry visa. Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S.

Important Note:

Replacing lost or expired immigration documents can be a timely process. You should plan ahead if you know any of your documents are expiring soon, especially if you have upcoming plans to travel internationally.