Application for U.S. Undergraduate Credit for Courses in Germany
Applications should only be submitted once coursework has been completed at the Goethe-Institut in Germany. Please allow 6-8 weeks for application processing.
Step 1. Complete the Goethe-Millersville Course Credit Application online. (Please note that a Millersville transcript will only be sent to those individuals/addresses designated on the application.)
Step 2. After completing the application, you will be taken to the payment processing section. Payment will be received through Millersville University's ticket purchasing site. Therefore, it will appear as though you are purchasing a ticket for an event.
Follow these instructions to guide you through the payment process:
1. You must first select the quantity of credits you are requesting to be awarded by selecting "buy tickets" next to the appropriate number.
2. You will then be taken to a screen where you will select the number of "seats," or quantity of credits. Because you have already selected the quantity of credit, the number next to "select seats" should read "1". Click "Add Seats To Cart" to move to the next page.
3. The next page is a summary of your "order". Verify that the quantity of credits and the cost (which will include the fees) are accurate.
4. Select "check out".
5. You will then need to create a new account, including login information, which will require you to provide your email address and a password. Once you have done this, select "create new account".
6. Fill in the required fields under "new account" and select "continue".
7. You will then be taken to the payment page which will require you to securely enter your credit card information.
8. The Office of Global Education will be notified of your application and payment submission. Once this confirmation is received, we will initiate the credit acknowledgement process (see Step 3 of application process).
Step 3. The completed application will be forwarded by Millersville to the Goethe-Institut in Germany for a transcript to be issued.
Step 4. The Goethe-Institut will submit the completed transcript directly to Millersville University for processing, following the receipt of your scores.
Payment must be submitted online with completed application.
Payment must be made by credit card as part of the application process.
Millersville University is unable to complete any financial aid paperwork/ consortium agreements for students seeking credit through the Millersville University/Goethe-Institut Credit Acknowledgement Program.
- 3 credits = $430.00 U.S.
- 6 credits = $670.00 U.S.
- 9 credits = $910.00 U.S.
- 12 credits = $1150.00 U.S.
- Internet Fee = $2.00 U.S./ per 3 credit class
- Processing Fee = $6.00 U.S./ per application
- The completed Goethe-Millersville Course Credit Application form must be submitted to Millersville University no later than 6 months following the completion of the Goethe-Institut program.
- Participating students seeking to challenge any aspect of their final grades must address this matter directly with the Goethe-Institut.
- A non-Millersville University student's home institution/school district will not automatically be notified of credit and grades earned through Millersville. Students who wish to have copies of their official transcripts sent to their home institutions/school district must designate so on the Goethe-Millersville Course Credit Application form.
- Once Millersville University has transcripted the academic credit, the transcript record cannot be rescinded.
- The application fee is nonrefundable under any circumstances.
- Please note that rapid progression through the minimum of courses and hours indicated is only possible for learners who perform very well (also demanding an extra number of hours of self-studying and practice outside of the class). The average student needs one more course in one or more levels to reach the described competencies of the European Framework, especially when preparing for an exam. This means that if, for example, a student takes a C 1.2 course twice, Goethe-Institut provides that this is not a repetition of the whole program, but an extension and consolidation with other materials and exercises to reach the targeted outcome statements.
- The average learning time required to achieve a level is different for each level. For example, B2 and C2 are much broader than A1. A1 is the narrowest level and should be reached in about 70 to 100 hours. Learners who have never learned a foreign language before, however, might even need two courses of 80 to 85 units in this level.
- Millersville University will only recognize 3 credits of any one course, no matter the length/duration of the coursework. If a student takes 160+ hours of one Goethe-Institut course, they may be eligible to receive 3 credits of the level they are enrolled in and 3 credits of the immediately preceding Goethe-Insitut course (i.e.: Student takes 160+ hours of B1.1, Goethe may agree that credit can be issued for 3 credits of A2.2 and 3 credits of B1.1). Alternatively, a student completing 160+ hours may opt only for a 3 credit recognition of the targeted course level (i.e.: in the above example, the student could receive credit for B1.1 only, if desired).
Equivalencies between Goethe-Institut and Millersville University courses based on a 4 or 2 week time schedule with 80-85 contact hours and course descriptions based on the European Framework. All courses that meet this description will count for 3 undergraduate credits.
*In order to receive academic credit for a Goethe-Institut Course a minimum of one course of 80-85 hours, rapid progression, is required.
|European Frame- work Levels||According
|Goethe- Institut Course
Minimum of courses of 80-85 hours
|Millersville University Equivalent|
|A 1||Start Deutsch 1||A1||1||German 101 (Elementary German 1)|
|A 2||Start Deutsch 2||A2.1||1||German 102 (Elementary German 2)|
|A2.2||1||German 102 (Elementary German 2)|
|B 1||Zertifikat Deutsch (ZD)||B1.1||1||German 201 (Intermediate German 1)|
|B1.2||1||German 202 (Intermediate German 2)|
|B 2||Zertifikat Deutsch für den Beruf (ZDfB)||B2.1||1||German 332 (German Civilization 2)|
|B2.2||1||German 351 (Compositon & Oral Expression 1)|
|B2.3||1||German 361 (Oral German 1)|
Zentrale Mittelstufen- prüfung (ZMP)
|C1.1||1||German 352 (Composition & Oral Expression 2)|
German 362 (Oral German 2)
|C 2||Zentrale Oberstufen- prüfung (ZOP)||C2.1||1||
German 442 (Composition)
The Goethe-Institut grading scale is converted into the Millersville University grading scale as follows:
2 South George Street
Millersville, PA 17551