Iceland is the only country to generate all of its electrical power through alternative means. We will visit geothermal power plants, take a boat ride to a glacier that forms large icebergs as it recedes due to the climatic effects, hike pristine gorges, go on a whale watch north of the Arctic Circle, soak in geothermal pools and enjoy the scenic beauty of this sparsely populated and largely unspoiled natural paradise.
This course might be for you if:
- You enjoy learning about energy resources and how we can help to conserve them
- You care about the long-term sustainability of planet earth
- You enjoy the outdoors
- You enjoy moderate daily physical activity
*This course is currently full for Summer 2015. Please contact, Dr. Len Litowitz at (717) 872-3883 or via e-mail at email@example.com for more information regarding this course.
Students earn 3 credits by registering for:
- ITEC 304 Energy Resources, Sustainability and the Environment (Taught by Dr. Litowitz) 3 Credits. This course examines the Energy Resources, Sustainability and the Environment is a non-technical course for all students interested in the societal challenges of energy sustainability, alternative forms of energy, energy conservation, and the effects of energy use on the environment. This course also fulfills Millersville University's Perspectives requirement.
Students should work with their academic advisor to ensure that these 3 credits are appropriately utilized for the student's major/minor requirements or to fulfill General Education requirements.
The anticipated cost for this course is approximately $2000
This cost includes:
- Round-trip Airfare
- 7 night accommodations in hostels and guest-houses
- Ground transportation in Iceland
- Food estimate at $40/day
- Glacier Tour
- Folk-life museum
- Hot springs
- Whale watch
- Lava Cave Tour
- Geothermal Power Plant
- Visit to geothermal & hydroelectric power plant
- Daily hikes
- Visits to waterfalls, lava fields & nature parks
- Some museums
This cost does not include:
- Millersville University tuition and fees for 3 credits (for specific undergraduate and graduate Summer 2015 costs per credit click here)
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC): $25, $95 or $200 (depending on insurance plan selected)
- Passport * (How to Apply for a Passport)
- Personal expenses (souvenirs and other daily expenses)
*If you do not have a passport, you must apply for one IMMEDIATELY. Keep in mind that it takes
4 - 6 weeks to receive a passport.
Study Abroad requires a student to plan for both academic costs/fees and personal expenses. It is important to keep in mind the cost of living and currency exchange rates compared to costs associated with living in Millersville (for example, living in a large city will be more expensive than living in Millersville, however in other areas of the world, the cost of living may be less.)
Federal/State Financial Aid: If you qualify for federal and/or PA state financial aid, you may apply it to your accredited study abroad program. For aid specific to summer aid: most students are required to be registered for a minimum of 6 credits in order to be eligible for financial aid. Any aid received during the summer will be deducted from the amount of aid available to you for the following academic year. (Summer classes Financial Aid questions)
The Office of Global Education prepares cost worksheets for all of the official MU study abroad programs to submit to the Financial Aid Office. As part of the Pre-Departure Paperwork process, students must indicate on their paperwork whether or not they wish to use summer financial aid. If they choose to use financial aid for this course abroad, the Office of Global Education will submit a cost worksheet to the Financial Aid Office on their behalf. These worksheets take into account all academic costs to study abroad (including additional tuition, living expenses, passport fees, airfare, etc.) and are used to re-evaluate students' financial aid packages. Costs associated with any additional travel outside of what is required by the program will not be included in the financial aid cost worksheet.
Any Additional questions regarding Financial Aid for Summer Study Abroad should be directed to Marcy Ashton, in the Financial Aid Office.
Course will begin on May 11, 2015 and run through June 1, 2015
- Prior to departure, there will be a 6-hour face-to-face meeting on May 11th
- The online portion of this course will take place until the departure date (May 25)
- The field component of the course will take place from May 25- June 1st
Prerequisites: Communication 100, English 110, Math 100 or higher and Junior Class standing.
Successful completion of all MU Course Abroad paperwork for Dr. Litowitz and the Office of Global Education.
Enrollment is limited to 15 participants including Millersville University students at all levels, transfer students and non-degree seeking students.
Note: *This course is currently full for Summer 2015.
Students must submit a $500 nonrefundable program fee with the application form which is due on or before February 1, 2015.
All checks must be payable to Millersville University and sent directly to:Attn: Len S. Litowitz Department of Applied Engineering, Safety & Technology PO Box 1002, Millersville University Millersville, PA 17551
(please be sure your name is attached to the payment)
*Note: All fees will be refunded in the event that the course does not run.
For specific questions about the course contact Dr. Len S. Litowitz at (717) 872-3883 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org