Advisement at MU
What is Advisement?
Definition: careful deliberation or consideration; consultation.
Goals of Advisement
- Provide you with opportunities in assessing interests and academic abilities
- Encourage the fullest intellectual development
- Foster an understanding of the value of a liberal arts education
- Provide an environment in which students can learn about the full array of educational opportunities available to them
Functions of Advisement
- Understanding your curriculum (major and general education), university policies (undergraduate catalog), and advisement tools (degree audit and curriculum sheets).
- Academic planning for short-term (course selection and registration) and long-term (graduation plan).
- Evaluation of student academic progress; and assistance or referral for academic success. Awareness and development of academic success skill set.
- Development of long term educational, career, or personal life goals.