MU Closed Wednesday
With the forecast of “a wintry mix changing to snow,” Millersville University has decided to close the campus for Wednesday, November 26. It is important to note that ALL classes will be held, as scheduled, the remainder of today and tonight. Only essential personnel are to report on Wednesday.
Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.
BIOL 471 Course Materials
Topic 01 (Biotic inventory and related activities: Interactive key construction)
- Exercise 01 (Conifer Data Collection) (PDF)
- Exercise 02 (Conifer Interactive Key Construction) (PDF)
- Excel spreadsheet for this (XLS)
- Brach and Song (2005) article (PDF)
Topic 02 (Biotic inventory and related activities: Biogeographic mapping and modeling)
A. Tutorials, exercises, and assignments
- Link to information about georeferencing your specimens using GEOLOCATE
- DIVA-GIS Tutorial (PDF)
- DIVA-GIS Non-tutorial Exercise 1 (Wild Potatoes) (RTF)
- DIVA-GIS Non-tutorial Exercise 2 (Parks Herbarium Analysis) (RTF)
- ZIP file with data (ZIP)
Topic 03 (Phylogenetic Inference).
A. Lectures and lecture supporting materials
- Lecture 1 outline (5 March 2007): Phylogenetics basics (PDF)
- Lecture 1 powerpoint: click here (PPT)
- Lecture 2 outline (19 March 2007): Cladogram construction (PDF)
B. Assignments and exercises
- Exercise 01 (5 pts): Phylogenetic inference exercise using vertebrates as the ingroup (PDF)
- Exercise 02 (no pts): Fitch Optimization: Counting steps (and ancestor reconstruction) (PDF)
- Reading 01: Phylogenetics Reading Assignment 1 (DOC)
- Reading 02: WinClada 1.0 manual (PDF)
- Readings 03: Second phylogenetics reading assignment handed out in class; no electronic versions available.
D. Supporting downloads
- Phylogenetic programs: program 1 program 2
- Zardoya and Meyer (Tetrapod origins) (PDF)