Funding for College

Fuding for College

Financial Aid

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 established rules that allow students with intellectual disabilities to receive federal financial aid such as Pell Grants, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants and the Federal Work-Study program. If a student is attending an approved Comprehensive Transition Program, such as the one at Millersville University they can apply for financial aid.

Transition Programs

Transition Programs occur when high school students enroll and participate in college courses, while still being supported by their local school district. The advantage to this type of enrollment is that a student can receive individualized support from their high school (under IDEA) while also having the opportunity to experience college. In this circumstance, the school district may be responsible for transportation and educational coaching. Also, the school system may cover the cost of college tuition, fees, and/or books. School districts that support Transition Programs can develop a cost-sharing plan with the college and the adult service agency that supports the student.

Medicaid funds

In Pennsylvania, individuals who receive funding from Medicaid for community based supports have used those funds to help pay for the services and supports they need for college. To find out more about this source of funding, contact the county office for intellectual and developmental disabilities.