Student Senate Guidelines for creating a Constitution
• All revisions of an organization’s constitution must be passed by the Constitution Committee and the Senate before they become valid
• An organization must follow its Constitution, all Student Senate Policies, and all University Policies
• Failure to do any one of the above requirements results in the organization being placed on probation by the Constitution Committee. If placed on probation, an organization’s bank account is frozen, and the organization may not use any campus facilities without the written permission of the Constitution Committee Chairman.
When creating a constitution, it is highly recommended to include:
- The Name the organization will be called
- The Purpose of the organization, i.e. what it should do and why
- A list of Officers and their duties. There should at least a President, Treasurer, and Secretary. Others can be added though.
- Membership information, such as who can join and any required dues
- Elections information, i.e. how officers are elected
- Committee information, if any is required
However, the following clauses MUST be included in the final constitution:
• All amendments to this Constitution shall not be valid until approved by the Constitution Committee and the Student Senate. Any changes in the Constitution must include explanations for the changes.
• If this organization is dissolved, any money remaining in its account shall be forfeited to the Student Senate, after any outstanding bills are paid.
Constitution of the _________________
Article I. Name and Purpose
Section 1. Name. The name of this organization shall be ______________
Section 2. Purpose. The purpose of this organization shall be to _________
Article II. Members
Section 1. Eligibility. Any current student of Millersville is eligible to join this organization.
Section 2. Dismissal. Any member shall be dismissed by a vote of two-thirds of the total membership.
Section 3. Advisor. The Advisor shall be appointed by the President with approval of a majority of the organization. The Advisor must be a current faculty or staff member at Millersville University.
Article III. Officers
Section 1. President.
A. The President shall preside at all meetings.
B. The President shall speak for the organization at events and public occasions.
Section 2. Vice President.
A. The Vice President shall succeed the President in the event a vacancy occurs
B. The Vice President shall be judge of all elections, unless running. In this case…
C. The Vice President shall preside at meetings when the President is absence.
D. The Vice President shall speak for the organization when the President cannot.
Section 3. Treasurer.
A. The Treasurer shall be responsible for handling the funds of the organization.
B. The Treasurer shall keep a report of all transactions of the organization.
C. The Treasurer shall handle the allocation process of Student Senate.
Section 4. Secretary.
A. The Secretary shall record and distribute minutes of the meetings.
B. The Secretary shall handle sending and receiving correspondence and mail
Article IV. Meetings.
Section 1. Place and Time. The place and time of the meetings shall be designated by the Executive Board
Section 2. Procedure. The Business of the organization shall be conducted in accordance with the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, except where it conflicts with this Constitution.
Section 3. Quorum. Two-thirds of members shall constitute a quorum.
Article V. Committees.
Section 1. Executive Board.
A. The Executive Board shall be composed of all officers and two members, one elected
B. The Executive Board shall create the Agenda.
C. The Executive Board shall exercise any other powers delegated to it by the by the membership and one appointed by the President. membership.
Section 2. Committees. The organization shall create any committees to carry out its business.
Article VI. Elections.
Section 1. Members. Members shall be elected into the organization by a majority vote of the current membership.
Section 2. Officers. Officers shall be elected at a day in April designated by the Executive Board, and must be current members of the organization in good standing.
Section 3. Vacancy. An Officer position which has been vacated shall be filled with an in- house election at the next meeting.
Article VII. Amendments.
Section 1. Proposed Amendments. Proposed Amendments shall be distributed to the membership one meeting prior to voting.
Section 2. Valid Amendments. All amendments to this Constitution shall not be valid until approved by a two-thirds vote of the membership, the Constitution Committee, and the Student Senate.
Article VIII. Dissolution.
Section 1. If this organization is dissolved, any money remaining in its account shall be forfeited to the Student Senate, after any outstanding bills are paid.