Dear Campus Community,
On June 18, the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) and U.S. News & World Report will release their review of the nation's education schools, including Millersville University's College of Education and Human Services. The American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), of which Millersville University is a member, does not support NCTQ's review. AACTE has listed a variety of reasons for their disapproval:
- NCTQ is not an impartial arbiter of quality for teacher preparation and, in fact, has a documented bias against higher education-based teacher preparation programs.
- NCTQ's standards and methodology have changed multiple times in recent years, including during the course of a single review. These shifts discredit the reliability of NCTQ's standards and methodology for use in judging any programs.
- NCTQ's work is part of an extensive, well-funded public relations campaign against higher education-based teacher preparation, disguised as an effort to improve teacher preparation so that students can have access to more effective educators.
- NCTQ's ratings of preparation programs and state policies often run counter to states' documented performance of students on the National Assessment of Educational Progress.
- NCTQ's past reports have contained significant inaccuracies that were never corrected, and findings have often been inconsistent with the actual work under way in states and programs.
- NCTQ employed tactics of intimidation and subterfuge to obtain materials for the national review of education schools. In some states, certain tactics violated intellectual property rights.
It is important to note that Millersville's College of Education and Human Services has been accredited and is a member of several nationally based organizations. The entire list can be found at: http://www.millersville.edu/education/accreditations.php. Millersville's College of Education and Human Services, also, does not approve of NCTQ's review.
Please contact the Dean of the College of Education and Human Services, Dr. Jane Bray, at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Janet Kacskos, APR, Fellow PRSA
Director of Communications
Millersville University of Pennsylvania
717-872-3723 - office
717-368-2502 - cell