Dr. Katarzyna Jakubiak
Dr. Katarzyna Jakubiak
Associate Professor of English
Office: Dauphin House 4
Phone: (717) 871-5699
Fax: (717) 871-7933
Comments: photo by Beth Cardwell
- M.A. in English Philology, Jagiellonian University of Krakow, Poland 1997
- M.A. in English, University of Northern Iowa, 1999
- Ph.D. in English Studies, Illinois State University, 2006.
- Translation studies (with a focus on the politics of literary translation)
- African diaspora literatures
- Critical theory
- The treatment of race in international theatrical translations
- Contemporary British, American and World Literatures
- Creative Writing
Passions & Distractions
- My daughter Natalia and son
- English 110: English Composition
- English 237: Literary Research and Analysis
- ENGL 241H Topics in World Literature
- English 316: Business Writing
- English 333: African American Literature I
- English 413: British Literature Since 1914
- ENGL 414 The English Novel 20th Century
- English 430: Ethnic American Literature since 1940
- English 613: Modern British Fiction (graduate level)
- English 230: Introduction to literature (online)
- English 312: Technical Writing (online)
- University 103: Who Am I?
- "Teaching Dutchman from an International Perspective." Approaches to Teaching Baraka's Dutchman. Ed. Gerald Early and Matthew Calihman. MLA Pedagogy Series, 2015.
- "Translation's Deceit: Czesław Miłosz and Negro Spirituals." Przekładaniec. Journal of Literary Translation. 25 (2013): 199-220.
- "The Black Body in Translation: Polish Productions of Lorraine Hansberry's A Raisin in the Sun in the 1960s." Theatre Journal, 63.4 (December 2011): 541-569.
- "Simulated Optimism: The International Marketing of White Teeth." In Zadie Smith: Critical Essays. Ed. Tracey Walters. New York: Peter Lang, 2008. 201-218
- "Performing Son and Blues: Langston Hughes and Ben Frederic Carruthers' Translation of Motivos de son." In Cognition in Language. Volume in Honor of Professor El?bieta Tabakowska, Eds.W?adys?aw Ch?opicki, Andrzej Pawelec, Agnieszka Pokojska, Cracow Tertium Society for the Promotion of Language Studies, 2007
- "Challenging the Cold War Legacy: Translating African America Literature into Polish." In Americas' Worlds and the World's Americas. Eds. Amaryll Chanady, George Handley, Patrick Imbert. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2006. 247-256.
- "Between a Failure and a New Creation: (Re)reading Yusef Komunyakaa's 'The Beast & Burden'in the Light of Paul Gilroy's Black Atlantic." Callaloo, Vol 28.3 (Summer 2005): 865-881.