Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
The Federal Government requires that all first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers complete an entrance counseling session before they receive any loan proceeds. Entrance Counseling educates the student about Direct Loans and their terms, as well as the student’s rights and responsibilities of borrowing them. The Entrance Counseling must be completed by the student, NOT the parent(s).
t is Federal Regulation that Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) must be completed so that the student understands the terms of his/her loan and repayment. Until these steps are completed, you will not receive any Federal Loans.
On this page:
How do I complete Entrance Counseling?
Which Entrance Counseling type do I complete?
You can complete Entrance Counseling through www.studentloans.gov
To log into your account, you will need your:
NOTE: This is the same FSA user ID and password you used to complete the FAFSA
Undergraduate, first-time Direct Loan borrowers:
- Make sure to selecting that you are completing counseling as an undergraduate student
Graduate, first-time Direct Loan borrowers:
- Make sure to selecting that you are completing counseling as a graduate/professional student
- Log into your account at www.studentloans.gov using your FSA user ID and password
- Click on the link in the center of the page that says "Complete Loan Counseling".
- On the next screen, make sure to click the first option "ENTRANCE COUNSELING"
- If Millersville University is not already listed for you, you will need to search under "Add School to Notify" by first selecting the school state and then school name. Once selected, click "Notify School". Note: At the bottom of this page, make sure you are selecting the correct student type (i.e. Undergraduate or Graduate).
- You should now be at the beginning of the Entrance Counseling. Read carefully and answer all questions; make sure to click on all tabs and fill in all blanks. Note: If you do not know the answer to the green "Check Your Knowledge" questions off hand, the answer will be directly above.
- Once you have finished each page of the Entrance Counseling, make sure to click "Submit" so that Millersville receives notification this step has been completed.