Millersville will close at 2:30 p.m. today due to the winter weather. That means any classes, both on campus and off campus, scheduled to begin at or later than 2:30 are cancelled. The complete policy is available at: Policy on Snow Delays/Cancellations. All Dining locations will remain open today with the following exceptions: Galley – Closing at 2 p.m., Cyber Café – Closing at 2:30 p.m. Ayako’s Blue Fish, scheduled for tonight on campus, will be rescheduled.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
A Parent PLUS loan allows for a parent to help pay for their child's education through a fixed rate federal loan. The loan is in the parent's name, and the borrower must not have an adverse credit history. the US Department of Education is the lender.
- We request that your parent does not apply for the PLUS loan until after May 1; prior to the year the student will attend (i.e. May 1, 2015 for 2015-2016 academic year or May 1, 2016 for the 2016-2017 academic year).
- We normally request that your parent applies for the PLUS loan between April 1 and June 15. This will allow sufficient time for processing of the loans prior to billing for the fall semester.
NOTE: Please be advised that if you do not indicate a loan period on your loan application, the loan term will default to the academic year (fall/spring). It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to indicate correct loan term dates to ensure the correct processing of your PLUS loan.
The loan period dates are used as follows:
- For the Fall/Spring, use 8/24/15 - 5/7/16
- For the Fall only, use 8/24/15 - 12/12/15
- For the Spring only, use 1/19/16 - 5/7/16
- For the Summer only, use 5/11/15 - 8/14/15 (no matter what session you are enrolled)
- For the Summer/Fall/Spring, use 5/11/15 - 5/7/16
- PLEASE NOTE: if you choose the option Summer/Fall/Spring - and apply for a specific amount, it will be processed and split in thirds. If you apply and choose the option "wish to recieve up to maximum cos of attendance" your loan will be processed based on the maximum budget for each semester.
To receive a Direct Parent PLUS Loan, you must:
- Complete a FAFSA application.
- Be the parent (biological or adoptive) of a dependent undergraduate student.
- The student must be enrolled in at least 6 credits (half-time).
- The student must be a degree-seeking student.
To apply for a Direct Parent PLUS Loan, you must:
- Go to: www.studentloans.gov
- Log in using your (the parents) information. You will need:
- FSA User ID and Password - NEW!!!
- Follow directions carefully and complete each section entering student information, loan term requests and period (see above), school information, amount to request, parent information, and confirm submission of credit check.
- Once application has been submitted, you will receive an approval or denial.
- If approved, follow the directions below on how to complete a Master Promissory Note.
- If denied, click here.
- FSA User ID and Password - NEW!!!
If you have been approved the Direct Parent PLUS Loan, and choose to borrow the funds, you MUST complete the following:
Master Promissory Note (MPN):
- Once you have been approved for the PLUS Loan, you will see a link to "COMPLETE MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE". Click on this link.
- Enter personal information
- Select Millersville from the list of PA schools
- Provide two personal references
- Continue clicking through each step until you have signed and completed the form.
- You will receive a confirmation once your Master Promissory Note has been completely submitted.
If you were originally denied the Direct Parent PLUS Loan, and have since appealed the decision or added an endorser to your loan you must complete :
Plus Loan Credit Counseling:
- Once you have logged into your account, you will find the link for Plus Credit Counseling in the left hand Navigation bar, under the Tab "Plus Loan Process".
- Click on the link that says: Complete PLUS Counseling
- Select the option: Parent of an Eligible dependent undergraduate Student and hit "continue"
- Complete each page and submit
- You will receive a confirmation once your Plus Counseling has been completely submitted.
- The school can refuse to certify a student's loan application OR certify the loan for an amount less than the student would otherwise be eligible. The school must document the reason for its action and explain the reason to the student in writing. The decision of the school is final and cannot be appealed to the Department of Education.
- During the repayment period, under certain circumstances, the USDE may grant deferments, forbearances, or cancellations. Parent must contact USDE.
- Yearly limit is equal to the student's Cost of Attendance minus any other financial aid received by the student.
- Parent may cancel all or a portion of the loan within 14 days after the date the school has sent notification that the loan funds have been credited to the student's account. Contact the Office of Financial Aid to cancel the loan.
- Interest is charged from the date the first disbursement is made until the loan is paid in full.
- Parent has up to 10 years to repay loan depending on the size of the parent's debt.