Whether you study through an MU or Non-MU program, you are required to first apply for study abroad approval through the Office of Global Education & Partnerships. All Non-MU program applicants must first apply to and receive approval from our office to verify that the program meets all of the necessary requirements. There are resources in the office to help you research and select a program that meets your needs if you require assistance in finding a suitable program. If you would like to schedule an initial interest meeting with the Non-MU Program Coordinator to discuss these options, complete the form below and bring it to the Cumberland House.
Initial Interest Form (PDF)
Below are the steps to study abroad through a Non-MU Program:
- Research study abroad programs. If there are multiple countries you are considering as a study abroad destination, you will need to do some research to narrow down your options. Determine which country has programs that will best suit your academic, personal, and financial needs.
Some resources that can be used to search for a suitable program are listed below:
- Look through the IIE Passport Guide in our office or you can search www.iiepassport.org to view the same program information in an online format.
- PA State System programs. Many of the other PA state universities have study abroad partnerships that have already been verified and approved by our office. Please keep in mind that you do not necessarily have to go through a PA State University, and that other Universities may have study abroad programs that better suit your needs.
- Internet. Internet searches for study abroad programs in the location of your choice can also be helpful; however the IIE Passport website tends to be more comprehensive than a standard Yahoo or Google search.
- Meet with your academic advisor about your plans to study abroad. Discuss how this will affect your academic progress and inform your advisor that you will need to meet with him/her in the future to discuss course equivalencies. Write down any concerns you or your advisor have, and discuss them with the Non-MU Program Coordinator.
- Select a study abroad program. When choosing a program there are many factors to keep in mind:
- Program location – country, city vs. rural, university
- Program costs (Be sure to carefully read what the costs include. One program may seem more expensive than another, but it may be because it includes meal options, room and board, excursions, etc. while the other program may only include tuition.)
- GPA requirements of the program
- Language requirements of the program and what language the courses are taught in. Do you meet the proficiency?
- Course offering and credit equivalences – Does this institution offer courses that will ensure you can make academic progress? Are you looking to take classes in your major/minor or mostly general education courses? Ask your advisor and department chair if there are any restrictions as to which courses can be taken abroad. Some departments have their own requirements on what courses can be transferred in and what ones must be taken at MU. In most cases, credit equivalencies are determined by contact hours.
- Make note of who is issuing the credit. In order to transfer credit to Millersville, credit must be issued by an accredited university. (In some cases you may be required to pay an additional fee for this.)
- Contact the Non-MU Program Coordinator to approve your program. Once you have received approval regarding your desired program, you may then download the Non-MU application from the Global Education website. You may only apply to study abroad through ONE Non-MU program at a time. See our homepage for dates of application availability and deadlines.
- Complete the application (including all items on the checklist) and bring it back to the Cumberland House on or before the deadline.
- The Office of Global Education & Partnerships will then review your application for final study abroad approval. You will receive notice of acceptance within approximately 2 weeks of the application deadline.
- Once approved, you should then apply directly to the Non-MU study abroad program.
- The Non-MU Program Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps in the study abroad process. You will need to complete pre-departure paperwork shortly after your acceptance. You will gain access to this paperwork via your Desire2Learn account. All forms and materials will need to be returned by the designated date.
Millersville University is now collaborating with Maryville University in offering short-term courses abroad (referred to as MOSAIC) led by Millersville or Maryville faculty. Program lengths range from ten days to five weeks during the summer session and students can earn 3-6 credits on most programs (specific credit offerings vary by program). Please note: Academic credit is granted by Maryville University; therefore, interested students must follow the Non-MU study abroad process.
Any student interested in participating through one of the MOSAIC courses should contact Millersville's Office of Global Education for more information regarding the application process. For a list of MOSAIC courses, visit the following website: Study Abroad/Maryville University
Current Millersville/Maryville MOSAIC Programs for Summer 2014:
Once you have thoroughly read through the above information and addressed any questions/concerns with parents or decision-making parties, advisor(s), and the Office of Global Education, you may follow the instructions below.
Read the directions below before beginning the application.
Refer to Global Education's home page at www.millersville.edu/globaled for the application release date and the final application deadline for each cycle. Approximate deadlines for applications are as follows:
- Summer: mid-February
- Fall: mid-February
- Winter: mid-September
- Spring: mid-September
- Year-long: mid-February
Do not begin your application until you have emailed or dropped off program details to the Non-MU Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) for program approval. Applications without prior approval will not be reviewed.
To apply, click on the following link to be directed to the "To Apply" webpage. Be sure to read all instructions before completing an application to study abroad.