Classes offered in Harrisburg Fall 2012
Millersville University offers the Masters of Education degree in Special Education with a major in mental and physical disabilities. Certification in mental and physical handicaps includes the areas of brain injuries, autism/PPD, specific learning disabilities, all levels of mental retardation, physical disabilities and serious emotional disturbances. The certification is a comprehensive program (K - 8). A clinical practicum experience is required for all students not certified in special education but holding a certification in another area of education. The practicum is selected in various public and private schools and institutions located in central Pennsylvania. Those students who hold no teacher certification may take the M.ED. in Special Education.
The M.Ed. in Special Education cohort program is a two year program beginning in summer 2013 and finishing in spring 2015, with a planned graduation in May 2015. The program will be delivered in an on-line deliver model via D2L, the robust online learning platform that is used at Millersville University and other campuses in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The program will feature our regular full-time faculty who will be working closely with the cohort students throughout the program in a small learning community in the range of 15 - 20 students.
Admission materials for the M.Ed. in Special Education program may be submitted on a rolling basis, although the University highly recommends allowing six weeks for application processing. The College of Graduate Studies and Adult Learning will continue adding students to the 2013 Summer Cohort up to a maximum of 20 students. Below are the steps to apply for admission to the M.Ed. in Special Education program:
- Application for Admission - Official application form for admission into Millersville University Graduate Studies. Applicants to all degree and certification programs use this application form. Must include $40 application fee. Click here to complete the online application.
- Letters of Recommendation - Three (3) recommendation forms, preferably from a supervisor or faculty member familiar with your work and academic background, are required with application for admission. When you complete the online application you will have an opportunity to send your references in electronic form.
- Academic and Professional Goals Statement - A signed academic and professional goals statement (approximately 300 words) is required with application for admission. The statement should include experiences which have influenced your decision to pursue post-baccalaureate studies and a self-assessment of your potential for advanced study and service.
- Transcripts - One (1) official transcript of baccalaureate and graduate work completed at all colleges or universities you have attended. Transcripts must bear the official institutional seal and be contained in a sealed institutional envelope. Millersville University graduates need not request a transcript.
- Test Scores - Applicants are required to take either the GRE or MAT. Official scores from the appropriate standardized test (MAT or GRE). The computerized MAT is administered on a weekly basis by the Millersville University Test Center.
To reserve your spot in the summer 2013 cohort for the M.Ed. in Special Education, please submit this signed signature page and completed application