Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Millersville University – Continuing Education Units
The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a universally recognized standard unit of measurement for participation in non-credit continuing education programs. The College of Graduate and Professional (CGPS) Studies manages the review of programs at Millersville University to determine if they qualify for CEUs. All programs, workshop and other events awarding CEUs must be approved by the CGPS.
Purpose of the CEU
- Nationally recognized uniform unit of measure for continuing education and training;
- Criteria by which learning activities are judged;
- Provide a nationally established record of professional development learning activity;
- Recognize individuals that continue their education and keep themselves current in their chosen professions.
Defining a CEU
- One CEU is defined as ten contact hours of participation in an organized non-credit experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction.
- A CEU is offered for true educational experiences, not for participation in entertainment, social, or athletic activities.
Criteria for awarding CEUs
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) may be awarded based on programs meeting the following criteria:
- Planning -The program must be of strong educational content geared for professionals in a particular field or discipline.
- Purpose – A clear statement of the program purpose and goals must be prepared before initiating the program.
- Performance – Regular attendance and participation is required. CEUs are available to individuals who attend at least 75% of an approved program.
- Program Evaluation – An evaluation form or method is required to determine if the program objectives were accomplished.
- Records and Registration – A confidential and transferable record on all CEU credits is kept by the College of Graduate and Professional Studies for five years from program the offering date.
The College of Graduate and Professional Studies follows the national standardized process required to issue CEUs. The first step is to complete the CEU application and submit it to the College of Graduate and Professional Studies for approval four weeks prior to when the conference, seminar, course, etc… is scheduled to begin. Applications are reviewed by the Associate Dean of the College of Graduate and Professional Studies and the Director of the Corporate University. Once the application is reviewed, the program contact (as listed on the Request for Awarding Continuing Education Units form) will receive notification of approval and a detailed letter outlining the program contact’s responsibilities for registration and record keeping.
A $25 per participant fee and registration form must be received by the College of Graduate and Professional Studies to award CEU's for participation in an approved program. The program contact is responsible for collecting and forwarding payment and registration to the College of Graduate and Professional Studies.
Once a program has been approved for CEU's, the program contact may elect to provide CEU's for all participants, or give participants the option of CEUs. Often organizers will include the per-participant cost of the CEU certificate (currently $25) in the cost of the program so that the provision for continuing education units is seamless to the participant.
Non-Millersville University Affiliated Programs - In addition to the per participant cost there is a $200 non-refundable processing fee for CEU approval, which is good for a single approved course for one year or for a one-time conference. For the fee to be waived the application must be approved by the department chair or Dean sponsoring the event.