PA Certified Public Manager
The quality and efficiency of management in government have a major impact on the lives of citizens. Systematic training programs are essential to maintain and improve the effectiveness and professionalism of government managers.
The Next Cohort is Starting Soon!
Why PA CPM and Why Now?
For information on the West Chester University CPM Affiliate, click here.
Benefits the Organization
- Alignment: The PA CPM Curriculum is closely aligned with many current leadership training initiatives. In fact several leadership programs across the commonwealth have been endorsed to receive PA Certified Public Manager® credit.
- Organization-Wide Leadership Standards: The current state of leadership/management training in government agencies across PA is not uniform. Different agencies are training employees through different programs. The PA CPM program can provide a consistent standard to development across all agencies.
- Managerial Career Path: The addition of the PA CPM curriculum creates an extended education path which has the potential to connecting current PA training initiatives with qualified bachelors and masters programs.
- Return On Investment: The key assessment mechanism of the PA CPM program is the Capstone Project, which requires participants to apply the learning directly to an identified need in their department. Through research and analysis the participant will develop an improvement plan within their sphere of influence that focuses on cost savings, revenue increase and/or customer satisfaction.
- Higher Quality Benefits Provider: The nationally recognized CPM credential will allow the organization to provide an even greater professional development benefit to its employees by aligning with a program that can provide a national accreditation.
Benefits to Employees Marketability: Certification is transferable to other states
- Nationally Recognized Certification: Completion of current organizational programs may be transferrable to Millersville University for CPM credit up to 56 hours. This will allow participants to potentially move right into the PA CPM Level II track and earn a nationally recognized credential.
- Increased Awareness: Participants will gain a deeper understanding of the unique characteristics of Pennsylvania's public sector, including perspectives from all levels of government.
- College Credits: Earn college credit capabilities in a non-credit platform. Relationships are currently being developed to allow CPM graduates the ability to transfer this learning experience for college credit in approved programs.
The PA program is a rigorous 308 total contact hours on leadership, management and PA-specific content. It is broken into 2 distinct levels. The Level I program (The Millersville University Leadership Academy) is designed to develop the core leadership skills of the individual. This 56 hour program consists of several specific "Essentials" courses. The Level II (CPM certification) content addresses key management and leadership development within the context of the unique structure of PA government. This Level also includes the development and completion of a Capstone Project, where participants apply the skills developed on a very real issue within their department or agency. This is the real ROI of the program. Click Here to see examples of CPM project topics.
Millersville University is proud to be the single accrediting body in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Our "active" status now announces that we are developing the PA Certified Public Manager® Program and continue this fine tradition.
A Little History:
Formed in 1979, the National Certified Public Manager(CPM)® Consortium establishes and preserves standards for the Certified Public Manager® designation. The curricular competency model used can be found in Article III, Section 2 of the consortium by-laws. Those earning the Certified Public Manager® designation are eligible to become Fellows of the American Academy of Certified Public Managers. The consortium maintains and accredits a single higher educational institution in each participating state to deliver and manage the curricular requirements of this accrediting body.
For more information, please contact the Corporate Universtity at (717) 871-7171 or by email at email@example.com