Health Insurance & Fees

Health Insurance & Fees

  • There is no charge to registered MU students to be evaluated by health care providers at Health Services for an illness.
  • There is a minimal charge for some medication, procedures, routine services such as Driver Permit or job physicals, and in-house lab tests. These charges can be paid directly (cash, check, Marauder Gold) or they can be billed to your MU account. Health Services and the Office of Student Accounts is unable to accept any medical insurance for these charges but a coded superbill receipt will be provided that can be submitted for possible reimbursement.
  • Labwork that cannot be performed at Health Services can be sent to  Quest Diagnostic Laboratory, LabCorp, PSP Lab or ACM Laboratory. These labs will bill you or your health insurance company directly for the tests. Payment by private insurance is not guaranteed. Remember that some health insurance plans require a referral from your primary physician to have diagnostic tests covered by insurance. It is the student's responsibility to investigate insurance coverage. The Health Service staff can guide the student but it is important for everyone to be savvy healthcare consumers.
  • It is recommended that the student carry their current insurance card (or a copy of the front and back of the current insurance card) in their wallet. Please remember to update your insurance card information whenever the insurance changes.  ***Any testing or service (lab testing, x-ray, etc) that is being referred outside of Health Services will require a current insurance card to be presented.  This will ensure the proper insurance billing occurs.
  • If you have insurance coverage for prescriptions, written prescriptions can be provided. You may wish to take the time to go to one of our local pharmacies to register your insurance. A list of local pharmacies is available in Health Services. Because some insurance policies have preferred providers for prescriptions, please familiarize yourself with your insurance coverage. Students are given prescriptions for medications not available in Health Services.

School Health Insurance

No specific insurance plan is endorsed by Millersville University Health Services. Whatever insurance plan you participate in does not affect eligibility to use the Health Services.

For information regarding health insurance plans, Millersville University Health Services recommends that you visit the Market Place Website at

Health Insurance

Plan ahead. Anticipate that you may need to seek medical care beyond what Health Services can provide and investigate where you could have an x-ray or send labwork if needed. Being prepared can help when an emergency or urgent need arises.

A student needs to have an understanding of how his/her health insurance works. Call your health insurance company. Inquire what process needs to be followed for procedures such as lab work, x-ray, or referral to a specialist. The Health Service staff will offer support and assistance, but ultimately the responsibility falls to the individual student to obtain the necessary referrals directly from their primary care physician or insurance company. Every insurance plan is different and it is impossible to keep up with all the changes in the medical insurance field when many companies change their procedures every year.

Many times, health insurance plans or Primary Care Physicians will request that a student be sent home for care. If they are referred, every effort is made to find a physician/facility that participates with the insurance. There have been occasions where local physicians/facilities are non-participating. Find out what doctors in this area participate with your insurance. Students are referred home when local doctors are non-participating. Insurance plans may do "non par" referrals (non-participating referrals are those to providers outside of the system and the insurance provider will determine level of coverage).

University Intercollegiate Sports Insurance

Millersville University maintains a separate policy covering athletes participating in University Intercollegiate Athletic Programs. This policy has a $1,000 deductible and is SECONDARY to private insurance carrier. Claim must be filed with private carrier first. If there are outstanding bills, copies of statements, explanation of benefits from primary carrier and other information need to be copied and sent with a claim form to the insurance. The Athletic Trainer will assist student with claim form.