Frequently Asked Questions

When will I get my room and roommate assignment?

New freshmen/transfer students will receive their housing assignment by mid July for fall semester and January for spring semester

Can I make a room/hall change?

Room changes are not permitted during the first week of classes each semester.  This "freeze" period allows time to locate existing vacancies (though occupancy checks) and provides for a period whereby the residential population may stabilize.  Room changes may be process on an "as-needed" basis throughout the semester(depending on availability of space).  Anyone who wishes to make a room change must make an appointment to meet with their hall's Graduate Assistant or Residence Hall Director.

Can I stay in my room during vacation and breaks?

Yes.  Student may request to stay on campus during the following breaks: Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring.  You may request to stay for a break by emailing the GA/RHD of your residence hall.  Requests must be made at least 10 working days in advance of the break to allow for proper processing time.

What are my residence hall choices?

Choices cannot be guaranteed due to space limitations.

  • East, South, and West Village
  • Reighard Hall - reserved for Honor's College
  • Shenks Hall- reserved for upperclassmen
  • Living Learning Communities

Can I bring a refrigerator for my room?

Yes, as long as the refrigerator does not exceed 4.6 cubic feet.

Can I cook in my room?

Small microwaves (not exceeding 1140 watts) are allowed in the rooms.

How are the residence halls cleaned?

Suite-style residence rooms (bedroom, bathroom, common area) have to be cleaned by the residents of that room.  The housekeeping staff in those halls will clean the hall-wide common areas (lounges, kitchens, hallways).  

What if something is broken in my room?

If there is an issue with something in your room ( HVAC not working, light burnt out,etc.), please go to your residence hall's front desk to request a work order.  Please provide the staff with a detailed description of the problem.

For issues with the Internet or cable in your room, please contact the Help Desk at (717) 871-7777. 

What if I lose my room key?

If you lose your room key, please contact a staff member in your residence hall and they will order a lock change.  If you can not find a staff member in your residence hall, please call the Housing and Residential Programs Office for assistance.  You will be billed for the new keys and the lock core change.  The lock change is mandatory and is made to protect the students from unwanted intruders.   

Are my belongings insured by the University

Millersville University does not insure your personal belongings and does not assume liability for theft or damages.  A parent's homeowner's policy may provide insurance coverage.

What is the visitation policy?

Please refer to our full guest/visitation policy located in the Living on Campus Guide.

  • All halls at MU have 24 hour visitation.
  • Student can have guests in their room only if there is no objection from their roommate(s).
  • Any guests of a hall residence can only enter or leave the residence hall by the main lobby doors and must be escorted at all times by their host.
  • Visitors/guests who want to sleep over may do so anytime, but only with the agreement of the roommate(s).  

Do I have to be on a meal plan?

Yes, all residence hall students are required to have a meal plan.  All residence hall students will be assigned a meal plan as part of the room assignment process. 

What's the security like on campus?

  • University Police work round-the-clock on campus and can be reached 24 hours a day at (717) 871-4357.  They provide escort service during the late night hours and patrol the campus including the residence hall areas at night.
  • Residence hall staff members are trained to deal with emergency situations.
  • Resident Assistants are on duty in each residence hall nightly, and graduate assistants and professional staff are on call.
  • There are fire alarm systems and smoke detectors in all halls.
  • Main entrances and peripheral doors are locked at all times.
  • All halls have electronic card access

What shouldn't I bring?

Please refer to the "What to Bring" page and also review our Living on Campus Guide.  If you are not sure about something, please give the Housing and Residential Programs Office a call at (717) 871-4200.

Can I have a car on campus?

Resident students who wish to park their vehicles on campus are required to have a valid parking permit.  The permit can be purchased online through your student account (MAX).  You will need to have your housing assignment from the HARP office, and your student ID card with you when you pick up your purchased permit at the Parking Office in the Lebanon House.

New students will have the option to purchase the full year permit.  Upperclassmen registration will open before freshmen students can apply.

May I have a pet in the residence halls?

Students may bring fish in a 1 gallon or less tank.

What should I do if I need accommodations for a medical condition or disability?

Contact the Learning Services Office at (717) 871-5554, to obtain a verification form as soon as possible.

Where are the best places to study?

Courtesy regarding noise is expected in all residence halls, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

  • Residence hall study lounges
  • The library
  • The Student Memorial Center
  • Classrooms in academic buildings

Who is responsible for the Residence Halls?

There are two area coordinators for the Department of Housing and Residential Programs.  The Area Coordinators supervise all student staff members including Graduate Assistants.  There is also one Residence Hall Director.  In addition, each office employs several support staff members and a large number of student employees who work to make the residence halls a comfortable place to live and learn.

  • Each of the residence halls is staffed by a Graduate Assistant or Residence Hall Director.
  • All Graduate Assistants are currently pursuing master's degrees.
  • GAs and RHDs are directly responsible for the day to day operation of their residence halls.
  • GAs and RHDSs are assisted by undergraduate Resident Assistants
  • Area Coordinators, Residence Hall Directors, and Graduate Assistants supervise student staff, coordinator educational programs, support policies and rules, deal with emergencies, are are available when students need assistance with residence hall, University, or personal concerns.