Center For PA German Studies
Center for PA German Studies
The Center for Pennsylvania German Studies was established at Millersville University in 1986 as a center for the study of the Pennsylvania German culture in America and as a clearing house for information on the Pennsylvania Germans.
The focus on the activities and collections of the Center will be on the various settlements of Americans which have come to be known as Pennsylvania German or Pennsylvania Dutch, but chiefly on the non-sectarian groups, the Lutheran, Reformed (now United Church of Christ) and the Moravian church groups.
More than seven million people have immigrated to America from the German-speaking areas of Europe since the first permanent settlement was begun in 1683 in Germantown, Pennsylvania. Thousands of German immigrants came to Pennsylvania from the Rhineland and neighboring provinces in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Contact the Center for PA German Studies
The Center for Pennsylvania German Studies
C. Richard Beam, Director
406 Spring Drive
Millersville, PA 17551