Bachelor of Science in Music Education
Community Centered. Career Ready.
Find out what it takes to Graduate in 4 Years!
Millersville University's division of Music Education offers one of the nation's most comprehensive and integrated courses of study. Every student in the degree program participates in the "Creative Campus" initiative as performers, educators, and entrepreneurs, and in real-world teaching projects prior to student teaching.
- We offer an education centered on the Kodály Concept of Music, which has been proven to be an effective means for developing musicianship skills. Two of the leading international experts on this system are on our faculty.
- Textbooks written by our faculty are in use at Eastman School of Music, Westminster Choir College, New England Conservatory, New York University, Indiana University Bloomington, and Ithaca, as well as throughout Great Britain, Australia, Canada, and are currently being translated into Chinese.
- Students have a unique opportunity to obtain additional knowledge from the encouraged Entrepreneurial Minor that will allow them to bring an entrepreneurial perspective to the field of Music Education.
- Our buildings feature practice rooms, choral and instrumental rehearsal rooms, a cutting-edge recording studio (one of the top in the country), the largest state-of-the-art electronic piano lab in the United States, offices, studios, and music libraries.
- With the arrival of new technology, students are able to interact and learn in real-time across any geographical distance, on our DCFX Disklavier. This instrument is providing a unique opportunity for interaction with international piano performances.
- Our students have opportunities to teach at Summer Music Camp, in Preparatory Division, tutor college students in their music courses and give group piano lessons during the Lancaster International Piano Festival.
- We offer a unique partnership with Music for Everyone, which provides students with scholarships and first-hand teaching experiences with children in the Lancaster City schools.
Graduates from our Music Education program pursue careers working as:
- elementary, middle, and high school teachers
- college professors
- independent studio teachers
- school principals
- fine arts coordinators in school districts
- coordinators of community engagement