- In its 2009 annual review U.S News & World Report ranked Millersville University 58 in the category of Best Universities-Master's in the North.
- Fulbright Awards were received by Dr. Barbara Stengel, professor of educational foundations, for fall 2008 travel to the University of Evora, Portugal; to Dr. Mara Rekis Anderson, adjunct professor in the School of Education, for spring 2009 study of foreign language methodology in Latvia; and to Dr. Vera Volchansky, director of orchestra and assistant professor, for 2008 travel to St. Petersburg to explore the unknown music of twentieth-century Russian composers;
- Dr. Francine G. McNairy was named president of the Marine Science Consortium on Wallops Island, Va., which offers students and faculty the opportunity for research in marine and environmental sciences.
- Millersville University was named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for commitment to and achievement in community service. The national honor roll is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service and is supported by the U.S. Departments of Education and Housing and Urban Development, Campus Compact, the American Council on Education and other higher education organizations.
- The newly established Community and Civic Engagement Research Project launched several new initiatives: the Walker Center for Civic Responsibility and Leadership and the Center for Public Impact. The program fosters, focuses and coordinates collaborations across disciplines, provides solutions to local and global challenges, and conducts research and polling on current issues.
- The University established a Software Productization Center, the first initiative of this type in Pennsylvania, funded by a three-year grant of $182,541 from the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. The center provides emerging technology-focused entrepreneurs in Central Pennsylvania with help in bringing new software from concept to market.
- Millersville University received a Council for Advancement and Support of Education gold award for its exemplary design and concept of the Admissions Office Welcome Center
- The University hosted the world premiere of the American Repertory Ballet’s “Writing at the End of the World,” composed by Millersville faculty member Rusty Banks and featuring the Millersville University Choral Union and the Continental Trombone Quartet.
- Millersville University prevailed with a federal judge’s decision to dismiss the case of a former student who challenged the principles of academic integrity in the University’s teacher education program.
Back to the President's Report 2009