School Counseling FAQ

FAQ’s about the School Counseling Program

FAQ’s about the School Counseling Program

1)   I’m confused about the application process for the School Counseling Program.  How does it work?

The application procedure is outlined in of the Graduate Catalog. Please refer to the Table of Contents to find more details on the program.  The School Counseling program does have distinct application deadlines for admittance to the spring and fall semesters, and these can also be found in the Graduate Catalog.    

After the school counseling faculty reviews the completed applications, the applicants may then be invited to an admission interview.  This interview has two components: a group component and an individual component.  Following the interview, accepted applicants will receive a letter inviting them to enter graduate studies.

2)   I’m not sure graduate school is for me.  Does it make sense for me to start at Millersville as a non- degree student and then apply for admission into the program?

This is an option which some students choose to pursue.  However, it is important to note that application to the program does not guarantee admittance into the program.  Therefore, students who choose to take courses prior to being officially accepted into the program run the risk of expending resources on courses for which they may not need should they apply to the program and not be accepted or should they decided that graduate school is not the appropriate avenue to pursue.

3)   What kind of education and psychology courses are considered acceptable as prerequisites for admission?

Generally, any course beginning with an “ED” code is acceptable as an education course prerequisite, and any course beginning with a “PSYC” code is acceptable as a psychology course prerequisite. 

4)  Can I take my education prerequisites after I’m admitted to the program?

Yes.  If six (6) semester hours of undergraduate or graduate education courses have not been met by the time of application they must be taken during the course of the program to satisfy prerequisite requirements.

5)   Can I take my psychology prerequisites after I’m admitted to the program?

Unlike education courses, psychology courses must be completed before beginning course work in the School Counseling program. Prerequisite courses in psychology may be in process during the semester in which application to the program is made. However, evidence that the course work is being taken must be submitted with the program application. This can be submitted either in form of a mid-semester grade report or a letter from the instructor of the course(s) you are taking.

6)   I already have a Master’s Degree in another field.  Can any of these credits transfer into the program?

Students who have already earned a Master’s Degree in an area other than school counseling will likely need to take some or all of the coursework from the M.Ed. in School Counseling program - as well as the Certification courses - in order for Millersville University’s School Counseling program to endorse their certification as Professional School Counselors. 

The School Counseling faculty will discuss your Master's Degree transcript in depth during the individual admission interview, and they will make decisions regarding the additional level of coursework required at that time. Please consult the program's Plan of Work in order to identify which courses may be matches and which ones you have never had.

7)   I already have a Master’s Degree in Education.  Can I just take the certification portion of the program and become certified as a school counselor?

Students entering the program with a Master’s Degree in Education will also likely need to take some or all of the coursework from the M.Ed. in School Counseling program.  Many of the core courses in the program focus on learning and developing counseling skills and developing skills that are specific to the school counseling role.

The individual admission interview is an opportunity for applicants to discuss their transcripts in depth with the School Counseling faculty.   The faculty will then make decisions regarding the additional level of coursework required.  Please consult the program’s Plan of Work to begin comparing previous coursework with the coursework required in the School Counseling program.

8)   Do I need to be a teacher first in order to become a school counselor?

No, it is not necessary to have a teaching certification or to have background in education in order to become a school counselor.  Students enter the school counseling program at Millersville University with diverse educational and professional backgrounds. 

9)   I’m already a teacher.  Do I have to complete the practicum experience all at one time, or can I spread it out and do it in a different format so I can keep teaching?    

The Practicum experience is a fifteen (15) week, three (3) credit, semester-long internship opportunity in which you are expected to complete a minimum of three hundred and sixty (360) hours in one semester. This requirement can be met by working an average of 24 hours per week during fifteen (15) weeks of the semester. All students are expected to take the Spring Core Practicum course.  However, there is also a Fall semester of Practicum available (called the Extended Practicum) to assist students who need to spread out their hours over more than one semester.  Some students in the program have utilized the Extended Practicum option in order to successfully complete the Practicum experience while continuing full-time employment as a teacher (or other professional).