Green to Gold

Make Your Training And Experience Pay Off

The Green to Gold program seeks talented young enlisted soldiers who have decided to leave, or are considering leaving, active duty to attend college. Quality enlisted soldiers with officer potential who have served at least two years on active duty are allowed to voluntarily request discharge from active duty, and enroll in Army ROTC to earn a baccalaureate degree and a commission as a second lieutenant.

Here are some helpful links:

  • Obligations
  • Early Discharge
  • Frequently Asked Questions


  • Scholarship Option
  • Non-Scholarship Option
  • Nursing Program


Following graduation, ROTC cadets are required to serve in the Active Army, Army National Guard or the Army Reserve.

All scholarship students will be required to serve in the military for a period of eight years. This obligation may be fulfilled by serving two to four years on active duty, followed by four to six years service as citizen soldiers in the Reserve Components; Army National Guard (ARNG) or U.S. Army Reserve (USAR), or by serving eight years in the ARNG or USAR preceded by a period necessary to complete the active component resident officer basic course (OBC).

Nonscholarship graduates may serve three years on active duty and five years as a citizen soldier, or they may select (or be selected) to fulfill their total military obligation as citizen soldiers. If Reserve Forces Duty is selected, graduates will serve a period of active duty necessary to complete the active component resident OBC, and spend the remainder of their eight-year obligation in the ARNG or USAR.

Early Discharge

If you are selected for the Green to Gold program, you may obtain early release from active duty. Army Regulation 635-200, Chapter 16-2, provides for the honorable, early discharge of soldiers so they can enroll in an Army Senior ROTC program. The Early Discharge may be up to 30 days prior to the start of school. Terminal leave is not authorized.


  • You must meet the requirements of the Green to Gold program.
  • The separation authority must ensure that you meet the criteria, have served honorably and possess officer attributes.
  • You must agree to the stipulations that breaching the terms of the USAR enlistment contract or ROTC student contract will subject you to involuntary order to active duty to complete the prior service remaining and/or the scholarship contractual obligation. If you are a scholarship cadet, you may be required to repay the scholarship benefits received in lieu of active duty.