MU will close at 4 p.m.
Due to the predicted winter weather, Millersville University will close at 4 p.m. today, Tuesday, March 3, 2015. All night classes are cancelled on campus and at The Ware Center.
At some time every student feels stressed, anxious or depressed.
However, when these feelings persist over a long period there may be a problem which is greater than those faced by the general student population. The following will guide you in deciding if a student should be referred to counseling.
What to look for in a troubled studentA student in crisis may:
- be hostile, aggressive, violent
- speak incoherently with unconnected thoughts, garbled or slurred speech
- see, hear or believe things that are not present or possible
- talk openly about suicide or make homicidal threats.
What to do for a troubled studentA student in crisis needs immediate help.
- Do not leave the student alone.
- Contact the University counseling staff at 717-872-3122 or emergency contact person at Witmer Infirmary at 717-872-3250 or the University Police at 911.
- Stay with the student until help arrives. Reassure the student.
- Be calm, maintain eye contact and listen nonjudgementally.
Student referrals to counseling
A student with significant emotional distress or one who manages but needs help should be referred to the University Counseling Center. Students vary in their acceptance of a referral to a counseling center. The following steps will make it easier for you.
- Do not hold the discussion in a public place.
- Be calm, maintain eye contact, focus on what is said without making judgements.
- Acknowledge student's concerns as important but do not overstate the concerns.
- Inform student of the free, confidential counseling services on campus.
- Offer them your phone to make an appointment or even walk with them to the Center.
- If they refuse a referral, accept that with respect for their decision. Say something like: "Please take the telephone number and should you change your mind you can reach specially trained people who have helped many other students."
If you would like a printed copy of the "Guide to Making a Counseling Referrals," please contact the Counseling Center at ext. 3122 and a copy will be sent to you.