AmeriCorps VISTA - Project Cygnet
AmeriCorps is a federal program designed to fight poverty in America. Millersville University's Office of Experiential Learning and Career Management (ELCM) is pleased to announce it is the 2013-2014 host site of an AmeriCorps VISTA project that will build and strengthen partnerships between Millersville University, the School District of Lancaster, and community organizations. By recruiting Millersville students to serve children at after-school programs in the community, Project Cygnet will ensure the mission of alleviating poverty through the goal of increasing children’s academic achievement.
There are a variety of needs at our current partner locations offering a variety of mentoring opportunities including, but not limited to:
- Providing children tutoring, homework help, and academic enrichment services
- Teaching children of incarcerated parents music and/or voice lessons
- Running recreational activities with children through sports, dance, etc.
- Learning how to teach children through creating and implementing original, fun, and educational 'lesson plans'
- Creating art, giving art lessons, and helping children to develop their artistic skills
- Helping grow and maintain a school garden with children, which promotes a sustainable and healthy lifestyle
Project Cygnet currently partners with:
- SWAN- an organization that gives free music and voice lessons as well as performance opportunities to children of incarcerated parents
- The Boys and Girls Club of Lancaster- an after-school program that provides mentoring, tutoring, recreational activities as well as nutritious meals to children
- Bright Side Opportunities Center- an after-school program that offers mentoring, tutoring, and recreational opporturnities to children
- The Mix At Arbor Place- an after-school program that provides homework help, tutoring, enrichment activities, mentoring, recreational opportunities, and hot meals for children
- Compass Mark (Hamilton Elementary and Wheatland Middle School)
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of children? Are you enthusiastic and passionate about helping others? If so, we are looking for you! We are currently seeking students from all majors to work with children in any capacity they choose. We will also work to create a schedule that works for you! Please contact Jess Yorks, AmeriCorps PACC*VISTA Project Cygnet Coordinator, at 717-872-3271 or at ELCM.Vista@millersville.edu for more details.