Direct Graduate Plus Loan
Requirements include the following:
- FAFSA must be filed by student
- Student must pass a credit check - the loan is in the student's name (not in the parent's name) and is NOT a guaranteed student loan – it must be approved by the lender.
- Must be enrolled for at least 6 credits
- We recommend that a student borrow the maximum under the Direct Stafford Loan program first, but this is not required. The Direct Stafford Loan maximum for one academic year is up to $20,500.
- This loan is for graduate students only (must be seeking a graduate degree - i.e. Master's Degree)
- Students seeking a Post-baccalaureate Certification (teacher certification) do NOT qualify for this loan.
- Students must complete a Direct Loan Counseling before the Graduate PLUS Loan can be disbursed (see the Quick Link for Loan Counseling to the left – be sure to use the link for the Graduate PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling).
In order to complete the application online follow these steps:
- Click on the above link
- Click on the green SIGN IN button (left side of screen)
- Sign in with your SSN, first two letters of your last name, DOB, and PIN - you must have a PIN (the same one as you had for the FAFSA) - if you do not have a PIN, you can apply for one. If you do not remember the PIN, you can request it.
- Once you have that information and have signed in, select "Start PLUS Application Process" - select "Graduate PLUS" and follow the instructions to complete the application.