Federal Direct Stafford Loan MPN
All returning and incoming freshman MUST complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan MPN in order to receive a Stafford Loan beginning with the 2010-2011 academic year
The Federal Direct Stafford Loan is a guaranteed student loan (only in the student's name). In order to obtain the Federal Direct Stafford Loan, all first-time borrowers must complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). This note is valid for a period of 10 years.
In order to complete the MPN, you will be sent to the U.S. Department of Education's (USDE) website. You will need your PIN from the FAFSA (the student's PIN).
The MPN CAN be completed online (even before a loan is processed for the student).
In order to complete the application online follow these steps:
- Use the link above and then
- Click on the green SIGN IN button (left side of screen)
- Sign in with your SSN, first two letters of your last name, DOB, and PIN (this is all student's information) - you must have a PIN (the same one as you had for the FAFSA) - if you do not have a PIN, you can apply for one. If you do not remember the PIN, you can request it.
- Select "Complete Master Promissory Note" in the middle of the screen.
- Select "Subsidized/Unsubsidized" - the first link.
- Follow the instructions and provide the requested information to complete the MPN.
Please note - you will get a message that says your school will be notified withing 24 hours of the completion of your MPN. However, because the loan we process for you has to link with your MPN, the requirement will remain as "requested" until we receive the confirmation back from the US Department of Education. This will generally be about 2-3 business days after we have submitted the loan information to them. If you have already completed it, please be patient - the requirement will be updated to "satisfied" as soon as we get the information back from the U.S. Department of Education, once we have processed the loans. You only need to complete it once.
If you have completed it and when you get your fall semester bill (online in July) and your Federal Direct Stafford Loan does not show as a credit, then please contact our office.