Federal Direct Loan MPN
The Federal Direct Student Loan is a guaranteed student loan (in the student's name). In order to obtain the Federal Direct Stafford Loan, all first-time borrowers must complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). This note is valid for a period of 10 years. The Master Promissory Note must be completed by the student (not the parents).
It is Federal Regulation that Entrance Counseling and the MPN must be completed so that the student understands the terms of his/her loan and repayment. Until these steps are completed, you will not receive any Federal Loans.
On this page:
How do I complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)?
Which MPN do I complete?
You can complete you Direct Loan Master Promissory Note online at www.studentloans.gov
To log into your account, you will need your:
NOTE: This is the same FSA user ID and password you used to complete the FAFSA
Undergraduate students who are first-time Direct Loan borrowers:
- Make sure to select the option for MPN FOR Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans
Graduate students who are a first-time Graduate PLUS Loan borrower:
- Make sure to select the option for PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students
Parents of dependent undergraduates students borrowing the Parent PLUS Loan:
- Make sure to select the option for PLUS MPN for Parents
- Log into your account at studentloans.gov using your FSA user ID and password
- Click on the link in the center of the page that says "Complete Loan Agreement (MPN)".
- On the next screen, make sure to click the option that pertains to you "MPN FOR Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans OR PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students OR PLUS MPN for Parents"
- Enter personal information and Select Millersville from the list of PA schools
- Provide two personal references. These references are in no way responsible for your loan repayment.
- Continue clicking through each step until you have signed and completed the form.
- You will receive a confirmation once your Master Promissory Note has been completely submitted