Frequently Asked Questions

Table of Contents

When will I get my room and roommate assignment?

New freshmen/transfers will receive their housing assignments in late July/early August (Fall semester) and January (Spring semester).

Can I make a room/hall change?

You can request a room/building/hall change anytime there is space available.

Can I stay in my room during vacations and breaks?

Yes.  Students may request to stay on campus during breaks by emailing the GA/RHD of their residence hall.  Requests must be made at least 7 working days in advance of the break to allow for proper processing time.

What are my residence hall choices?

Choices cannot be guaranteed due to space limitations.

  • Suite style
  • Co-educational residence halls
  • Service Learning
  • Honors (Department decides)
  • Freshman Year Experience
  • Single rooms (limited quantity)
  • Double rooms
  • Triple rooms
  • Quad rooms
  • Rooms with private baths (limited quantity)

Can I bring a refrigerator for my room?

You may wish to bring a small refigerator for your room.  Refrigerators may not exceed 12 amps.  Micro-fridges are also available for rent at 

Are my belongings insured by the University?

Millersville University does not insure your personal belongings and does not assume liability for theft or damages. A parent's homeowner's policy may provide insurance coverage.

What is the visitation policy?

  • All halls at MU have a visitation policy
  • Students can have guests in their room only if there is no objection from their roommate(s).
  • Any guest of a hall resident can only enter or leave the residence hall by the main lobby doors, and must be escorted at all times by his/her host/hostess.
  • Visitors/guests who want to sleep over may do so anytime, but only with the agreement of the roommate(s).
  • Very young children may not be overnight guests of MU students.

Can I cook in my room?

Small microwaves (not to exceed 9 amps.) are allowed in student rooms. 

Do I have to be on a meal plan?

Yes. All residence hall students are required to purchase either a 21, 19 or 14 meal plan.

What's the security like on campus?

  • University Police work round-the-clock on campus and can be reached 24 hour-a-day at (717) 872-3433. They provide escort service during the late night hours, and patrol the campus, including the residence hall areas, during the night.
  • Residence hall staff members are trained to deal with emergency situations.
  • Resident Assistants are on duty in each residence hall nightly, and Graduate Assistants & professional staff are on call.
  • There are fire alarm systems and smoke detectors in all halls.
  • Main entrances and peripheral doors are locked at all times.
  • All halls have electronic card access.

What shouldn't I bring?

If you are not sure what to bring and not bring, please check our web page or call the Department of Housing & Residential Programs at (717) 872-3162.

  • Alcoholic beverages and containers (decorative collections of alcohol containers are not permitted)
  • Hookahs
  • Space heaters
  • Potpourri pots
  • Candles
  • Lava and oil Lamps
  • Fog machines, strobe lights, and decorative string lights (only LED approved)
  • Nuwave Cookers/Rice Cookers
  • Hot pots
  • Refrigerators over 12 amps.
  • Cooking appliances
  • Ceiling fans
  • Air conditioners (unless approved for medical reasons). Call the Student Support Services Office at (717) 872-3178 for verification forms.

Can I have a car on campus?

  • Due to the number of available parking spaces near the residence halls, the University has restricted parking privileges to students who have 30 or more credits.
  • Students with less than 30 credits may still be issued a parking permit if they can show need for one. For a complete explanation of these guidelines see the Freshman - Sophomore Resident Parking Policy and Restricted Parking Policy Waiver documents available through the University Police Parking Division.  The University will consider these requests on a first-come basis.
    Parking permits issued to students with less than 30 credits are considered to be Restricted Permits and allow the operator to park in assigned lots from 7 a.m. Monday to 4 p.m. Friday. After 4 p.m. Friday, you may park in any designated parking space not reserved by signs. You must return to your designated parking area by 7 a.m. Monday.
  • Additional parking  information can be found at the Parking Division's website

May I have a pet in the residence hall?

Students may bring fish in a small container or aquarium.

What should I do if I need accommodations for a medical condition or disability?

Contact the Student Support Services Office, (717) 872-3178, to obtain a verification form as soon as possible.

Where are the best places to study?

  • Courtesy regarding noise is expected in all residence halls, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
  • Residence hall study lounges
  • The library
  • The Student Memorial Center
  • Classrooms in academic buildings

Who is responsible for the Residence Halls?

There are two area coordinators for the Department of Housing & Residential Programs. The Coordinators supervise all student staff members including Graduate Assistants.  There is also one Residence Hall Director.  In addition, each office employs several support staff members and a large number of student employees who work to make the residence halls a comfortable place to live and learn.

  • Each of the residence halls is staffed by a Graduate Assistant or Residence Hall Director.
  • All Graduate Assistants are currently pursuing master's degrees.
  • GAs and RHDs are directly responsible for the day-to-day operation of the their residence halls.
  • GAs and RHDs are assisted by undergraduate Resident Assistants.
  • Area Coordinators, Residence Hall Directors and GAs supervise student staff, coordinate educational programs, support policies and rules, deal with emergencies, and are available when students need assistance with residence hall, University, or personal concerns.