Finals Rescheduled Again
Due to inclement weather forecast for this Saturday, 12/14, the make-up exams from Tuesday 12/10 will be rescheduled (yet again) as follows:
- The exam period for classes that meet Tuesday-Thurs 1 p.m. is now rescheduled to Friday, 12/13/2013 from 2:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
- The exam period for classes that meet Tuesday-Thurs 4 p.m. is now rescheduled to Saturday, 12/14/2013 from 8 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Click here for additional details.
President's Report 2011/2012
I am pleased to present the 2011-12 President's Report in which many of the University's accomplishments are highlighted.
At Millersville University, we understand the fiscal and societal realities of the Commonwealth. One of our highlights this past year was embarking on a transformational journey to strengthen student learning and help students find the path to productive citizenship. Our first step was to operationally re-define what student success looks like. What knowledge and skills will our students need to succeed? How will we provide a quality learning environment, a vital curriculum, challenging expectations and consistent guidance so that students are equipped to lead a nation that is dependent upon their creativity? How will we inspire students to set ambitious goals? Millersville understands the imperative to immediately craft this definition, and we believe that these are important questions to ask and answer for all educational levels.
In addition to student success, Transformation's two other themes are to increase advocacy and provide effective structures and services. In addition to launching our "transformational process" here are a few other highlights from the past year:
- Millersville University completed construction of the Winter Visual and Performing Arts Center. The new facility features performance venues, art gallery, rehearsal space, practice rooms, classrooms, a state-of-the-art multi-track recording studio, digital piano lab, scene shop and new theatrical lighting and sound systems that will be used to educate the next generation of majors and minors in art and design, music and theater. The Winter Center will help enhance the spirit of creativity, innovation and engagement.
- Soar to Greatness: The Campaign for Millersville University advanced to $83.8 million towards the $85 million goal. Launched in 2006, the campaign's original goal of $60 million had been increased to $85 million in 2010. University faculty and staff, both current and retired, assisted the campaign with 629 individuals gifting $3.3 million. The goal was exceeded at the time the campaign closed in December 2012, with more than $86 million raised.
- More than 3,700 students performed 134,000 hours of service learning through University-sponsored experiences, departmental internships and extensive co-curricular programming. According to Independent Sector the value of this service to the local community was estimated at approximately $2.9 million.
- Millersville University's overall four-year graduation rate is 36 percent, above the national average of 22.2 percent for a public, regional comprehensive university.Millersville University was awarded a $1.2 million grant from the National Science Foundation, entitled "Increasing the Quality and Quantity of Mathematics Teachers for High-Need Districts." The grant will fund the mathematics department's Noyce Scholars program. Approximately 84 percent of the funds will go directly to scholarships for mathematics education students.
- Governor Tom Corbett appointed Mr. Gerald Eckert, university advancement, to the Governor's Advisory Commission on Postsecondary Education, a statewide panel of 31 leaders in the education and business communities.
Since I will be retiring in January 2013, this will be my last President's Report. It has been an honor to serve with the faculty, staff, administrators, alumni and the students themselves who have all worked together to make Millersville the strong institution it is. I take great pride in sharing with you the President's Report for 2011-12.
Francine G. McNairy
President, Millersville University