Soar to Greatness: The Campaign for Millersville University
Launched in June 2006, the Soar to Greatness Capital Campaign for Millersville University had eight funding priorities identified with an initial overall goal of $60 million. It was the most ambitious fundraising undertaking in the history of the University or by any university within the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. In May 2010, Millersville decided to increase the campaign goal to $85 million.
Central to the strategy of the campaign was the concept of total revenue generation. The campaign has embraced a total “revenue generation” effort by matching Commonwealth dollars for the renovation and expansion of the library and the expansion and transformation of Lyte Auditorium into the Winter Visual and Performing Arts Center. Revenue for all of the eight priorities came from a mix of sources including competitive public grants, corporate sponsorships and, of course, private gifts from alumni, corporations, foundations, friends and University employees.
The campaign raised 40 percent, or $35.5 million, from the Commonwealth through matching dollar support for facility projects. The remaining $52.5 million, or 60 percent of the campaign revenue was generated from private gifts (both individuals and corporations) and competitive state/federal grants and contracts including corporate partnerships. Of the $52.5 million, $38.7 million (74%) came from private support and $13.8 million (26%) from competitive state/federal grants, contracts and corporate partnerships.
On December 31, 2012, the campaign officially closed, reaching $88 million—an achievement which will propel Millersville University forward to its next stages of success for years to come.
Thank you for your generous investment in Millersville University.