MU Closed Wednesday
With the forecast of “a wintry mix changing to snow,” Millersville University has decided to close the campus for Wednesday, November 26. It is important to note that ALL classes will be held, as scheduled, the remainder of today and tonight. Only essential personnel are to report on Wednesday.
Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.
Sexual violence violates an individuals' trust, autonomy and feeling of safety and security. It occurs any time a person is forced and/or manipulated into any unwanted sexual activity. The range of sexual violence includes rape, incest, date and acquaintance rape, statutory rape, marital or partner rape, sexual exploitation, sexual contact, sexual harassment, exposure, human trafficking and voyeurism.
Here you will find various statistics and information to furthur understand why sexual violence is considered an issue across the nation. Click one of the links below to learn a little bit more of how prevelant sexual violence can be.
- 3% of college men report surviving rape or attempted rape as a child or adult.
- In a study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control of 5,000 college students at over 100 colleges, 4% of men answered "yes" to the question "In your lifetime have you been forced to submit to sexual intercourse against your will?"
- 92,700 men are forcibly raped each year in the United States.
- 61% of male sexual abusers are male, 28% are female, and 11% reported being assaulted by bothmales and females.
- 77% of sexual assaults against males take place in a residence.
- 48% of males were raped by strangers, compared with 28% of females.
- 11% of total sexual assault victims are male, 89% are female.
- 1 in 4 college women have survived rape or attempted rape
- 1 in 6 are sexually assaulted
- Young women ages 16 to 24 still experience the highest rates of rape and sexual assault, and people ages 18 and 19 experience the highest rates of stalking.
- 1 in 10 teens have been physically hurt on purpose by a boyfriend or girlfriend in the last year.
- Women age 20 to 24 experience the highest rates of dating and domestic violence.
- 22% of college women have been victims of physical abuse, sexual abuse or threats of physical violence.
- 19% of women reported experiencing completed or attempted sexual assault since entering college.
- 84% of the college women who reported a sexual assault experienced the incident during their freshman or sophomore years.
- 85% of victims were assaulted by someone they knew, usually a fellow student.
- 30% of lesbian report having experienced sexual assault or rape by another woman (not necessarily an intimate partner)
- 15% of men living with a male intimate partner report being raped, assaulted or stalked by a male cohabitant
- The proportion of IPHs committed by same-sex partners was much greater for males than females.
- About 3% of females experiencing nonfatal intimate partner violence were victimized by reported that the offender was another female. About 16% of males reported that the offender was another male.
Approximately 1 in 8 lesbians (13.1%), nearly half of bisexual women (46.1%), and 1 in 6 heterosexual women (17.4%) have been raped in their lifetime. This translates to an estimated 214,000 lesbians, 1.5 million bisexual women, and 19 million heterosexual women.
- Almost half of bisexual women (48.2%) and more than a quarter of heterosexual women (28.3%) were first raped between the ages of 11 and 17 years.
- Nearly half of bisexual men (47.4%), 4 in 10 gay men (40.2%), and 1 in 5 heterosexual men (20.8%) have experienced sexual violence other than rape in their lifetime. This translates to nearly 1.1 million gay men, 903,000 bisexual men, and 21.6 million heterosexual men.
Sexual Violence does not have to occur between people of the same sex who identify with the same sexual orientation. Often a fear of exposing the community leaves many victims staying silent. LGBTQ people experience violence within their intimate relationships at about the same rates as heterosexuals.
- 2/3 of stalkers pursue their victims at least once per week, many daily.
- 78% of stalkers use more than one means of approach.
- Weapons are used to harm or threaten victims in 1 out of 5 cases.
- Almost 1/3 of stalkers have stalked before.
- In 15% of incidents, the victim reported that the stalker either threatened or attempted to harm them.
- In 10% of incidents, the victim reported that the stalker forced or attempted sexual contact.
- 1 in 12 women and 1 in 45 men will be stalked in their lifetime.
- 77% of female victims and 64% of male victims know their stalker.
- 59% of female victims and 30% of male victims are stalked by an intimate partner.
- 81% of women stalked by a current or former intimate partner are also physically assaulted by that partner. 31% are also sexually assaulted by that partner.
- The average duration of stalking is 1.8 years. If stalking involves intimate partners, the average duration of stalking increases to 2.2 years.
If you scored less than a 100 percent, please consider reviewing the information available on this website.