- Walking: Well-lit paths, walk with someone else, have keys ready, be aware/listen (headphones and emotions prevent this), trust your instincts, carry whistle/pepper spray,
- Party: carry enough money for a cab, have a plan to get home, stay in groups with people you know, monitor alcohol consumption and keep an eye on drinks (only accept them from bartender or server or watch it made – salty taste or flat soda can be sign of GHB), watch out for friends, trust your instincts
- Dorm: close blinds/curtains at dusk, have/use peephole and deadbolt lock, do not leave valuables in open view, know neighbors, don’t be afraid to report illegal/suspicious activity
- Driving: check car before entering, keep doors locked at all times, have at least ¼ tank of gas at all times.
- Public Transit: stand behind bench when waiting, sit by driver if unsure of route, stay away, notice who gets off at your stop
- Traveling: have ID, wallet with sufficient funds, and insurance info, don’t write full name/address on luggage, check door before opening it for someone, keep doors locked at all times,
- During confrontations: make honest/direct statements, demand harassment stops, head up/look confident, and make a final statement and leave (don’t respond again). If it gets physical call police, resist, yell, self-defense tactics, run if possible)
Source: (Click Here)
Millersville University has strategically placed Emergency Blue Boxes around campus to aide in the safety and security of its students'. These boxes can be found in various places around campus and should only be used in the event of an emergency situation. Click the picture below to see a full .pdf map of where these boxes are located in correlation to you. It is strongly advised that all students understand and know where these boxes are at all times in the event of an unfortunate situation.