Frequently Asked Questions

What are the degree requirements?

The M.Ed. in sport management is a 36-credit-hour program. Course work toward the degree includes both required courses and electives, depending on the track followed. A written, comprehensive examination is required of all non-thesis students at the end of the program. In the Athletic Management concentration, students are required to complete an internship experience.

What is the Graduate Assistantship Program?

Graduate assistants have an opportunity to work with professionals in areas commensurate with their course of study. This enables the graduate assistant to contribute significantly to his/her own intellectual development while gaining valuable professional experience and receiving a stipend. The college community benefits as well, as graduate assistants serve a vital role in the departments, offices, and programs where they are employed.

Typical placements include:

  • Admissions Office
  • Athletic Training
  • Campus Recreation/Intramurals
  • Development/Grant Offices
  • Men's Athletics
  • Residence Halls (room fees are waived for graduate assistants with residence hall assignments).
  • Sports Information Office
  • Sport Management Graduate Program
  • University Communications and Marketing
  • Women's Athletics

For more information, contact the Office of Graduate Studies, (717) 872-3099

How do I choose and register for courses?

The courses in the M.Ed. in Sport Management Program are not sequenced; therefore, you can take courses in any order to complete your degree. Typically, students selece courses they take by determining the "best fit" with their work and personal schedules. If possible, it is advisable to enroll in EDFN 601 (Research Methods), early in your course of study, as it will likely assist you with the research you complete in other courses. If possible, please complete this course while it is taught by Dr. Wimer (sport management faculty). If you have any further questions, please contact your advisor.

Visit the Registrar's Office website or the schedule section of this site, to view semester course schedules. To register in person, obtain a registration form from the Registrar's Office in Lyle Hall. Complete and return. To register online via MAX, visit the Registrar's Office website. To register by telephone, call (717) 872-3999.

How do I purchase textbooks?

Required and recommended course books and materials will be available for purchase at the MU bookstore, located in the Student Memorial Center (SMC) on campus.

Textbooks can be purchased online now http://store.studentservicesinc.com

You can also e-mail your book order (with above information except credit card info) to the following book store contact: textbooks@ssi.millersville.edu.  The bookstore will call you to confirm your order and request the payment information. Books are also available online or from bookstores, but make sure you are purchasing the correct edition.

What if I need learning support services?

Millersville encourages students with learning or other disabilities to contact the Office of Learning Services in Lyle Hall at (717) 872-3178 to discuss their needs. Students requesting assistance must complete a request for assistance form and provide documentation regarding the nature of and limitations imposed by their disabilities. Accommodations are then arranged through the Office of Learning Services upon completion of this process. It is the student's responsibility to initiate this process prior to the beginning of a course.