Case Study > Drink Up for the Environment
• Advocate - a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc.
• Bottom liner system - separates trash and subsequent leachate from groundwater
• Cells - where the trash is stored within the landfill
• Compost Pile - the purpose is to bury trash in such a way that it will decompose quickly
• Dump - an open hole in the ground where trash is buried and that has various animals (rats, mice, birds) swarming around. (This is most people's idea of a landfill!)
• Environmental Impact Study – determines the area of land needed for a landfill, composition of soil and bedrock, flow of surface water, and impact of a landfill on the environment and wildlife
• Landfill - carefully designed structure built into or on top of the ground in which trash is isolated from the surrounding environment (groundwater, air, rain). This isolation is accomplished with a bottom liner and daily covering of soil.
• Leachate - collects water that has percolated through the landfill itself and contains contaminating substances
• Methane - methane gas that is formed during the breakdown of trash
• Municipal solid waste landfill - uses a synthetic (plastic) liner to isolate the trash from the environment
• Sanitary landfill - landfill that uses a clay liner to isolate the trash from the environment
• Solid Waste – another term for “trash”