Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Studies

General Information

Below are questions the Graduate Studies office typically receives regarding tuition, fees, financial aid, registration, degree candidacy and graduation. If you are unable to find the answer(s) to your question(s) or for further inquiries, please feel free to call us at (717) 871-4723. If you prefer email:

Current and newly admitted graduate students should email


Q. Do I need a student ID card?

A. Yes, graduate students are required to have a Millersville student ID card, which is used as a library and activity card. You may get your ID card at the Campus ID Office in Boyer Computer Center, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Q. Can I use the Library?

A. Yes, the library is available to all currently registered Millersville University students. Many library services are available to graduate students via the library's website. Please note that your MU student ID card is required to check out books and use some of the library's online services. To find out more about the library, click here.

Q. Should I get a parking permit?

A. In order to park on campus, you must purchase a parking permit. For current fees and application, please visit the MU Parking website.


Q. Where can I get a copy of the graduate catalog?

A. An electronic (PDF) copy of the graduate catalog is available online. 

Tuition, Fees, & Financial Aid

Q. How much are tuition and fees for graduate study?

A. The Office of Student Accounts provides current cost information on their website at You may also contact their office, located in the Dilworth Building, by phone at 717-871-5101.

Q. How many credit hours do I need to be considered full-time?

A. Graduate students are considered full-time if they are enrolled for 9 credits or more. Anything less than nine credits is considered part-time.

Q. Do I have to pay student fees in addition to tuition?

A. Yes. All graduate students must pay the general fee and the technology fee. Other fees may apply. Please check the Office of Student Account's webpage for more information on tuition and fees.

Q. I have withdrawn from class, can I get my money back?

A. You must complete the cancellation process and officially drop the class with the Office of the Registrar. To view the current academic calendar visit Your effective date for refunds will be determined by the date your completed Add/Drop form is received in the Office of the Registrar. All requests for refunds must be submitted to the Office of Student Accounts, located in Room 227 of the Dilworth Building. Please note that application fees and graduation fees are nonrefundable.

Q. Where can I find out about graduate assistantships?

A. Graduate assistantships are available to master’s degree students across campus in a variety of administrative offices and academic departments. Students interested in graduate assistantships should visit our graduate assistant webpage. The deadline date to submit a graduate assistant application to the College of Graduate Studies and Adult Learning is February 1 for full consideration in the following fall term.

Q. How long can a student work as a graduate assistant? How much does an assistant earn?

A. Assistantships are awarded for a nine-month period (fall and spring semesters only) to students admitted to a master’s degree program and are renewable for a second academic year. Graduate assistants awarded a full-time assistantship receive a tuition waiver up to 24 graduate credits and a stipend of $5,000 for their first year. In their second year as a full-time graduate assistant, the student will receive a tuition waiver up to 24 graduate credits and a stipend of $5,400.

Q. Where can I find more information on Financial Aid?

A. Degree-seeking and certification students may be eligible for several loans, grants, and other forms of financial aid. In addition, several academic departments offer scholarship opportunities for graduate students. A listing is available in the graduate studies catalog. Interested students should contact the appropriate graduate program coordinator for more information on these scholarships. More information on financial aid is available through the Office of Financial Aid, 1st floor of Lyle Hall. You may check their website at, or call 717-871-5100.

Registering for Courses

Q. What is the process for registering for classes?

A. Once your Admissions Response Form has been processed, you may activate your MU accounts and register for classes through MAX. To activate your accounts go to Instructions to register for classes through MAX web are as follows:

A class schedule and registration guide is available on the Registrar's website at

Q. How do I add or drop a class from my schedule?

A. Students may add or drop classes through MAX during the drop/add period for the semester (generally the first week of classes). However, the signature of the course instructor (or their designee) is required to withdraw from courses after this period.

Q. How do I change my master’s degree program of study?

A. Graduate students wishing to change their degree/major or program concentration must complete the Change of Curriculum form available through the Graduate Student Forms Center. Changes must be approved by your adviser/graduate coordinator and the dean of graduate studies. Please note that additional admission requirements may apply when changing majors.

Degree Candidacy & Graduation

Q. What exactly is degree candidacy and how does it apply to me?

A. Degree candidacy is an evaluation of a master’s degree student's performance in order to identify areas of study that a student may need to strengthen, among other things. The Master’s degree student is responsible for applying to his/her department for advancement to degree candidacy within the required semester-hour limitation. Please refer to the program section of the graduate catalog for specific details on your programs degree candidacy process. The Application for Degree Candidacy form is available electronically in the Graduate Student Forms Center.

Q. Do I need to apply for graduation?

A. Yes, you should contact the College of Graduate Studies and Adult Learning for an application. This document is also available electronically in the Graduate Student Forms Center. You must submit the Application for Graduation to the College of Graduate Studies and Adult Learning by the posted deadline. You are responsible for obtaining adviser and graduate coordinator signatures prior to submitting the application. You will be billed for the $30.00 graduation fee by the Office of Student Accounts closer to the end of the semester. If you apply for graduation but do not complete your degree requirements, you must submit a new Application for Graduation by the deadline date for the new semester in which you plan to graduate. The graduation fee is only charged one time.

Q. Is there a time limit on completing my degree requirements?

A. Yes, work for your degree does not have to be done in succession, but must be completed within five years. The five-year period begins the semester a student is officially accepted into a degree program.