Applying for Certification
THE 6 STEPS TO CERTIFICATION
The information below outlines The 6 Steps to Certification Millersville University students pursuing a Pennsylvania teaching certificate will follow immediately prior to and during Student Teaching.
Note: For Endorsement Students
General timeline for certification:*
Before - Prior to, or at the start of, Student Teaching
- Take Content Area Tests (this is only a recommendation) - You do not need to take the tests in order to student teach, you may take the tests after you student teach.
- Coursework completion - Make sure your Degree Audit is complete with the exception of Student Teaching.
Mid-Semester - After the Student Teaching Seminar
- Create PPID Number.
- Fill out the MU Request for Recommendation form. This form includes important information needed to recommend you to PDE for certification.
End of Semester - After either May 1st or December 1st
- Take the Student Teacher Survey.
- Finish TIMS application.
After the End of Semester - After final grades have been issued
- Student degree is awarded by Millersville University.
- Millersville University recommends student to PDE (provided all requirements have been met).
- A 'Verification of Completion' letter is issued to the student (provided the MU Request for Recommendation form has been completed).
- See the drop down item immediately following 'The 6 Steps to Certification' below for additional information regarding the 'Verification of Completion' Letter.
*A more detailed timeline will be provided at the Student Teaching First Day Meeting.
Step 1. Take the Tests
Testing information is outlined below.
Keep a copy of your test scores. You never know when you might need them again.
Basic Skills Tests - Undergraduates only -- (Post-Bacc students do not need them).
- SAT or ACT scores are reported to PDE by MU.
- Check your Degree Audit.
- If your Degree Audit reflects “Pre-Service Tests Unverified” under the APS section, please contact the Department of Field Services to make sure we have official scores on file.
- Praxis and PAPA - should show up in your test dashboard in the TIMS application.
- Keep a copy of your test scores - you never know when you might need them again!
Content Area Tests
Note: If you have already taken Content Area Tests and your score report reflects 'Not Passed', check the GPA sliding scale before re-taking the tests.
- If you pass by GPA, score reports will always reflect 'Not Passed'. PDE will review your GPA and score report after you are recommended for certification by MU.
- A minimum GPA of 2.8 or higher is required for certification.
- Higher test scores are required if GPA is 2.8 - 2.99.
- Lower test scores are accepted with a GPA of 3.01 or higher.
- The GPA sliding scale does not apply to add-ons.
View PDE's Certification Tests and Score Requirements worksheet HERE. (GPA Sliding Scale).
Step 2. Complete the Program
You must complete the program to be recommended for your Pennsylvania teaching certificate.
- Undergraduate Students:
- All courses (including those for a minor or honors) must be completed successfully.
- Both PDE 430s MUST be on file.
- Your degree must be awarded. Once your degree is awarded, you will be recommended for certification. Millersville University will not be able to recommend you for certification until your undergraduate degree is awarded.
- Post-Bac Students:
- Check your Degree Audit and/or the Course Requirement Sheet you received with your admissions packet to confirm all requirements have been completed.
- Both PDE 430s MUST be on file.
- Millersville University will not be able to recommend you until all required course work is completed.
- Undergraduate Students:
- Step 3. Create Your PPID # in TIMS
Step 4. Complete the MU Request for Recommendation Form
Complete the MU Request for Recommendation form. This form provides information needed to recommend you for certification.
What you will need to complete the form:
- Your PPID number from the TIMS application.
- Your test scores. If you are unsure of your test scores, you should be able to log back into your Praxis or PECT account.
- The address where you will be at after the end of the semester. Your 'Verification of Completion' letter will be mailed to this address.
Step 5. Complete Your TIMS Application
The TIMS application is available on the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) web site. Please note the following:
1. The cost of the application is $200.
2. The following guides and information are available for your reference:
- MU's TIMS Guide
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) TIMS Help/User Guide
- View PDE TIMS FAQ for additional information
- Certification Code and Types
3. NOTE: Your coversheet may say you need “PPST testing” or PAPA scores. You do not.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) is the only one who can see your application before you pay. If you feel you made an error or need someone to look at your application, you must contact PDE directly.
Step 6. Take the Student Teacher Survey
The link to the survey will be emailed to you towards the end of your student teaching semester. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey.
PDE Requirement Change: Effective September 1, 2019, students must submit a separate application for Add-Ons.
NOTE: You will not be able to submit an application for an 'Add-On' until PDE receives and reviews your initial Instructional I recommendation from Millersville University.
'Verification of Completion' Letter information
The 'Verification of Completion' letter confirms that the student has met the necessary requirements and therefore, Millersville University has recommended the student to PDE for certification.
AFTER recommendation to PDE is made, students who have completed the MU Request for Recommendation form will be issued a 'Verification of Completion' letter.
Students receiving a job offer prior to the end of the semester or within 3 weeks after the end of the semester should follow the steps below.
1. Check with your future employer to see if you are able to substitute teach under ACT 86. You are allowed to teach for up to 10 days in the same place per school year.2. IF substituting under ACT 86 is not an option, your future employer must write an email or letter to the Department of Field Services stating the following:
- Student name
- Date the job begins.
- What the job offer is. (E.g. Substitute Secondary Math Teacher)
- Letter from employer with all the above items addressed.
- Both PDE 430’s from your supervisor.
- All coursework must be completed.
- Undergraduate students: degree must be awarded.
- Post-bacc students: required coursework must be completed.
Questions? Email email@example.com (Please include your M# in all communications. Field Services will communicate any personal information through your Millersville University email.)