BS Program Objectives And Student Outcomes
BS in Computer Science Program Objectives and Outcomes
Graduates of our program assume appropriate roles as computing professionals, with the following objectives:
- They use standard practices of the computing field.
- They actively participate in the advancement of the computing field through professional activities such as publishing, professional organization participation, and standards committee membership.
- They participate in continuing education opportunities, including technical workshops, certification programs, and graduate-level coursework.
- They pursue a career along at least the following career paths:
- Technical: they will advance within the field by increasing their advanced technical skills, moving from positions such as programmer and system administrator to systems analyst, software engineer, and senior analyst.
- Management: They will advance beyond a strictly technical role to management positions such as project or team leader up to positions such as Chief Information Officer.
- Academic: They will pursue graduate degrees leading to teaching and/or research positions.
Graduates of the program will have an ability to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.