Career Resources during COVID-19
Career Resources for a Virtual Environment
Experiential Learning and Career Management has collected some helpful information and links to assist you with job searching and your career/professional development in a virtual environment.
One-on-one Appointments - If you need individualized assistance searching for jobs or internships, improving your resume, or preparing for virtual interviews, please use our online appointment scheduler in Career Connection to schedule an appointment with a staff member for a virtual career coaching session.
Electronic Career Document Reviews (eCritique Services) - Email your document to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Resume or Cover Letter Feedback" in your subject line. Please attach only Word documents (no PDFs or links to Google docs) and allow 5-7 days for your review to be completed.
On-demand Online Assistance - Use Smarthinking, an 24/7 online tutoring and writing review service available by logging in to D2L Brightspace. Smarthinking specialists help you improve any career document (resumes, cover letters, personal statements) or messaging you might share with potential employers (interview responses, LinkedIn profiles, elevator pitches).
VIRTUAL LEARNING AND PROFESSIONAL SKILL BUILDING RESOURCES
- What Can I Do With This Major? - Learn about career areas and help you explore and connect majors to careers. Learn about the typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
- University Alumni Network - Occupation Information Videos
Browse thousands of career interview clips for information on a vast number of career industries and positions. Learn about job descriptions, how to prepare, the challenges and the best aspects of the position and advice for students seeking a career in the field.
- Career Advice Videos
View our library of 50+ job search and career readiness videos to help you get better at navigating and exploring job options and identifying and articulating your skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences.
- Virtual Fairs, Sessions and Programs
Attend our career-building educational presentations and the job and internship fairs. Register through Handshake to get the Zoom link information.
- Tips on Creating a Professional Headshot from Home
Today’s new smartphone models make it easier than ever to take a great professional headshot with your phone. Here are a some simle tips on How to Create a Professional Headshot at Home.
JOB SEARCH INFORMATION, ADVICE & ARTICLES ON THE WEB
- How To Job Search During The Coronavirus Pandemic (Glassdoor)
- 60 companies hiring to address COVID-19 (Glassdoor)
- Companies eager to hire amid COVID-19 (Glassdoor)
- 11 Companies that let you work remotely (Glassdoor)
- Here’s who’s hiring right now (LinkedIn)
- 4 Strategies for Nailing the Video Interview (Vault)
- Interviewing in the Time of Coronavirus (Vault)
BEWARE OF EMPLOYMENT SCAMS
Employment scams and fraudulent activity on job seeking websites have risen dramatically during this time of unprecedented COVID-19 related unemployment (Forbes, Job Hunting Scams amid COVID-19 Pandemic, 2020.) If you are using external job posting websites to search for employment, you must be vigilant in researching and verifying posted positions and contacts. Remember that scammers can find a variety of personal contact information on the web by compromising email accounts. As a result, it is possible that you could receive an unsolicited phishing email, text message, or phone call from a fraudulent contact regarding an alleged employment opportunity. Learn more about Employment Scams.