Frequently Asked Questions

Related to Field Services

The Field Services Office handles the collection of Clearances, field placements for both Early Field Field Experiences (prior to Student Teaching) and Student Teaching, Advanced Professional Studies applications and Certification.

  • Advanced Professional Studies (APS)
    What IS Advanced Profession Studies?

    Advanced Professional Studies, or APS, is criteria developed by Millersville University for admission to and retention in APS courses. MU has developed this criterion to prepare you to meet the requirements which The Pennsylvania Department of Education has established for certification to teach in Pennsylvania.

    Students must apply for, and be granted, APS in order to progress through the Educational Programs here at MU.  

    The most up-to-date APS admission requirements for both Post-Baccalaureate and Undergraduate teacher candidates can be found on the APS webpage.

    Advanced Professional Studies (APS) Information

  • Certification Testing
    What are Certification Tests and When do I need to take them?

    Testing is required to progress through the program and ultimately be certified to teach.  

    Please visit the Certification page to find answers about Certification testing requirements and registration information.

    Certification and Testing Information

  • Clearances
    What are they and why do I need them?

    What are the “Clearances”?

    The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires all Education majors to obtain the ACT 34 PA State Criminal Record Check, ACT 151 PA Child Abuse History Clearance, ACT 114 FBI Fingerprinting Clearance and a TB test (Tuberculosis Skin Test).

    When do I need to obtain my clearances, and what do I need to do with them when I receive them?

    Your clearances are a very important part of meeting the class and state requirements for field placement. Students must have all clearances on file, including negative TB test results, in order to be eligible to register for courses that require a field experience.  Valid clearances (these are clearances within one year of the issue date and that do not expire within the duration of the course) must be on file prior to the start of the semester in which they are taking a course with a field experience or the student will be dropped from the course.

    We highly recommend that students obtain initial and subsequent clearances during the summer (July is best) of their first year of study if possible.  Clearances/TB tests obtained in summer and renewed each summer are the best and most convenient, and they will be good for the entire academic year.

    Students should maintain a file of their original clearances/TB test on campus where they may easily access them if needed for their field placement.  Copies should be filed with the Field Services office  according to the Clearance/TB test submission procedures.  

    Clearances Information

  • Field Placement Policy
    Important information about your field placement location.

    The Field Services Office places students in a service area defined as approximately 50 miles from the University or depending on supervisor availability. 

    • Millersville University (MU) is affiliated with educational partners in Lancaster, Lebanon, and York Counties. With their cooperation, the University is able to place students within the appropriate educational settings in the region. This responsibility rests solely with the University. 
    • Students may not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, contact educational partners to arrange their own placements.Please note that our educational partners consider this unprofessional behavior, and such contact may jeopardize your placement.  
    • MU has Affiliation Agreements with participating educational partners and we must abide by the terms set forth in these agreements.  Students must secure current clearances (defined as Act 34 Criminal Record Check, Act 114 FBI Fingerprints, and Act 151 PA Child Abuse clearance) and TB test results that will cover them through the semester the placement is occurring. Students must update clearances and TB test results on a yearly basis unless employed by the educational partner hosting the placement.  Students are responsible for notifying the Field Services Office within 72 hours of a clearance infraction.
    • In a limited number of instances, the University will make requests of educational entities to secure placements outside of Lancaster, Lebanon, and York Counties. There is no guarantee that by requesting such a placement, the Field Services Office will be able to accommodate your request. Requests for out-of-county placements that cannot be secured within a reasonable interval of time will result in the student being placed within an MU-affiliated district.  While the Field Services Office will work to accommodate out-of-county placements, students may experience greater driving distances should the initial request be denied. 
    • Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from placements.
    • Financial hardship does not constitute a compelling reason to alter a placement once the Field Services Office has secured a placement.
    • Students must report to the placement assignment provided by the Field Services Office. Students must immediately update the Field Services Office should an individual within the educational entity change the placement.

    Professionals within the School of Education select sites believed to best continue students' professional development.  All placements are contingent upon the availability of an educational partner-approved cooperating teacher, the appropriateness for the student's major, a student's prior field placements, the availability of a supervisor and more. 

  • Transportation
    How do I get to my Field Placement?

    Transportation is the responsibility of the student and is not coordinated by the Field Services Office.  Options available to students include, but are not limited to, the following:

    • Carpooling
    • Their own vehicle
    • Public Transportation

    Additional information may be found on the Millersville University Sustainability webpage.  Sustainable Campus - Transportation


  • Thinking Ahead - International Student Teaching
    How can I student teach abroad?

    If you are interested in completing your student teaching abroad, advance planning is the key.  Visit the Office of International Programs and Services (IPS) in Cumberland House for more information. International Student Teaching