Summer Financial Aid
2019 Summer Financial Aid Information
Financial aid is available for the Summer Semester at Millersville University. Before applying, it is extremely important that you read all of the following information, carefully, to learn more about what you may qualify for and how to apply! Click here for a printable version of this information.
- The aid you receive in the Summer Semester may have an impact on the amount of aid you can receive for the following Fall and Spring Semesters. Your yearly amount of aid will generally be split between the three semesters (Summer/Fall/Spring) unless otherwise specified on your application.
- Failure to complete all required paperwork by the designated deadlines below may delay the approval of aid beyond the due date of your Summer bill.
- If you are submitting paperwork after the dates listed above, please be prepared to pay your bill without the assistance of financial aid.
- If aid is approved after your bill is paid, you will receive a refund (assuming that you meet all eligibility requirements).
- Complete and submit the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov. The recommended deadline for Summer Aid is March 15, 2019. (Allow 5-7 business days after submitting your FAFSA for the results to be released to Millersville’s Office of Financial Aid.)
- Complete the Millersville University 2019 Summer Financial Aid Request Form on MAX by March 31, 2019.
- Complete your Financial Aid Document Requirements by April 10, 2019 – You may check the status of your Document Requirements online in the myVILLE Student Portal. After logging in, select Finances > Financial Aid Requirements > 2019-2020 Aid Year.
- Maintain an enrollment status of six credits or more throughout the Summer Semester and be admitted in a degree-seeking program at MU. Please note that EDW courses are not eligible for federal aid.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Any student who has failed to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards based on Fall Semester grades will have their Summer Aid Application held and not processed until after Spring Semester grades are posted and reviewed.
- Students who fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards after 2019 Spring Semester grades have been posted and reviewed will have any estimated summer financial aid canceled.
- See Types of Aid below for any additional aid-specific requirements.
HOW DO I COMPLETE A SUMMER AID APPLICATION ONLINE?
You must log into MAX to complete the Summer Aid Request Form. Follow these steps:
- Log in to myVILLE
- Select "MAX Banner Self Service Login"
- Select "Financial Aid"
- Select "My Awards"
- Select "Award by Aid Year"
- Select the 2019-2020 Aid Year
- On the General Information tab, select the link under "INTERESTED IN SUMMER AID?"
- Read the important information to understand how the summer aid process works
- After reading, select the link under "APPLY NOW." A form will open:
- Enter all required data and submit the form
- When prompted, select the "Close Window" button
- If the MAX screen did not change, refresh the page for additional information.
Please note, the summer aid application on MAX can only be completed one time. If you need to make changes to your application once you have completed the online version, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 717-871-5100.
WHAT TYPES OF AID ARE AVAILABLE?
Students successfully completing all of the required paperwork by the designated deadlines listed under the “2019 Summer Financial Aid Information” section (above) may be considered for the following types of aid:
PA STATE GRANT (PHEAA)
- To be eligible for a summer PA State Grant, you must be enrolled for at least 6 credits over a period of at least 5 weeks (as defined by PHEAA) and be taking at least 50% of these credits in the classroom (as opposed to online). Blended courses (online/classroom combination) are considered to be fully online courses for PHEAA purposes.
- To apply, complete the “Summer State Grant Application” in addition to the 2019-2020 FAFSA. This additional application is available online only in mid-March of 2019 by logging into your AES/PHEAA account at pheaa.org. If you do not already have an account, you will need to create one.
- Students who are eligible for the PA State Grant may receive a maximum of eight full-time disbursements while pursuing a first bachelor’s degree. Therefore, any grant money received for the summer semester will count toward the eight full-time disbursements permitted by PHEAA.
- The PA State Grant is awarded late and is not available to use as credit towards your bill. If you are awarded a PA State Grant for summer, you will receive a refund in August (assuming your charges have been previously satisfied).
FEDERAL PELL GRANT
- If you are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant, it will automatically be awarded to you; you do not need to request it. Receiving a Pell Grant in Summer 2019 will not have an impact on your Pell Grant awards for Fall 2019 or Spring 2020, so long as you meet all other criteria.
- If your enrollment changes from what is indicated on the “Award Overview” tab in the Financial Aid section of MAX Home in your myVILLE Student Portal after your eligibility is initially determined, your award will be adjusted.
FEDERAL DIRECT LOANS
- Students who have never borrowed through the Federal Direct Loan Program must complete the Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling before the loan can be applied to their bill. The MPN and Entrance Counseling can be completed online at studentloans.gov.
The Office of Financial Aid will process the loan for the student’s maximum eligibility for the 2019-2020 Academic Year:
The loan amount will be divided equally among each of the semesters that the student indicates they plan to be enrolled for on their Summer Financial Aid Request Form. Summer is the beginning of the 2019-2020 Academic Year.
For example, if you request a Federal Direct Loan and your maximum eligibility is $3,500 for the year, your loan will be divided equally among the three semesters (Summer, Fall, and Spring), awarding approximately $1,167 each semester.
Students who do not want to borrow their maximum eligibility in the summer can check a box on the Summer Financial Aid Request Form indicating that they would only like to use enough funds to cover their bill. The remaining funds will be awarded to future semesters of enrollment in the 2019-2020 Academic Year (Fall/Spring).
- The total loan amount will not exceed student’s annual grade level eligibility:
- Grade level eligibility is determined by the total number of credits the student has EARNED as of the date the loan application is certified— this is often before Spring Semester grades are available. To request a Grade Level Increase of your loan amount, you must contact the Office of Financial Aid after your grades have been posted for the previous semester.
FEDERAL DIRECT PLUS LOAN
- YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO APPLY FOR THIS LOAN UNTIL APRIL 15, 2019
- The student must file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before a PLUS Loan can be processed.
- A parent of a dependent undergraduate student may borrow a Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
- If approved, a Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) must be on file and the loan must be certified by the school before a Federal Direct PLUS Loan may be used as a credit on the student’s bill. A parent may complete the PLUS Loan application and complete the MPN online at studentloans.gov.
- Private/alternative loans may be used to help cover the costs for summer without taking away from the state or federal resources available to students in the fall and spring semesters.
- If you want to borrow a private/alternative loan for the summer and you generally use one in the fall and spring semesters, you must complete a separate application for summer. Millersville cannot process one application across all three semesters. Fall and spring can still remain as one application and funds can be split between the two semesters.
- The loan period to select for a summer loan is: 05/14/19 - 08/17/19
- The loan period to select for a fall/spring loan is: 08/27/19 - 05/10/20
- If you are enrolled in multiple summer sessions your loan will be allocated according to the number of credits you are enrolled in each session. For example, if you request a $5000 private loan for summer and you are enrolled 3 credits Summer 1, 6 credits Summer 2, and 3 credits Summer 3 your loan will be divided among those semesters according to your enrollment. In this example you would receive $1,250 summer 1, $2500 summer 2, and $1,250 summer 3. Fall/Spring loan applications will be split evenly between the two semesters.
- Final approval from the lender must be on record in the Office of Financial Aid before an Alternative loan may be used as a credit on the student's bill. Credit pre-approval is not satisfactory for this purpose.
- Please note that processing by the lender may take several weeks.
- If you receive an early refund from an alternative loan after your loan was certified and then become enrolled in a later session(s), you are responsible to pay any balance due when billed for the later session(s) or apply for an additional loan.
WHEN WILL MY SUMMER AID BE PROCESSED?
- Beginning April 1, 2019, the Office of Financial Aid will process requests for the Summer Semester for those students who have met all the criteria listed under the “How do I apply?” section of this form. Students may check the status of their Financial Aid Requirements online through their myVILLE Student Portal > Finances > Financial Aid Requirements.
- An email will be sent to each student’s Millersville email account when aid has been processed, directing the student to view their awards online. Student are advised to review the total amount of aid for the entire 2019-2020 Academic Year. If additional funds are needed, students are encouraged to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss additional funding options.
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY AID?
Please pay particular attention to the following anticipated disbursement dates. While your aid may be applied to your bill as a credit, the funds will not actually pay to the University before the dates listed below:
SUMMER SESSION STUDENT IS ENROLLED IN
FEDERAL PELL GRANT
PA STATE GRANT
FEDERAL DIRECT LOANS
Summer 1 Only
Summer 1 & 2
Summer 2 Only
Summer 1 & 3
Summer 3 Only
Summer 2 & 3
All 3 Summer Sessions
- If you expect to receive a refund, please be sure you are signed up for direct deposit online and/or that your desired mailing address is on file at https://millersville.afford.com/. Contact the Office of Student Accounts for more information about Direct Deposit.
- Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid if their enrollment status changes after aid is initially awarded. Failure to do so will delay the disbursement of the student’s financial aid.
- If you are enrolled in multiple summer sessions and receive a private/alternative loan, your loan disbursements may be split between the sessions that you are enrolled depending on your budget for the term(s) you are enrolled. Disbursements of private/alternative loan funds may be delayed to a later session if you do not meet the minimum enrollment requirements for that loan at the date found above.