Buildings with a Bow
Large gold bows are displayed throughout campus in recognition of several named buildings.
You may ask yourself, who is this building named after, and what is their significance to Millersville University? Historically, buildings and spaces at Millersville have been named to commemorate the lives or generosity of individuals and families. Locate a bow and read about the building's namesake.
It’s one thing to know where you are going, but it’s more meaningful to know who helped to make it possible.
- Antonnen Lobby at Pucillo Gymnasium
- Bassler Hall
- Biemesderfer Center
- Duncan Alumni House
- The Francine McNairy Library & Learning Forum at Ganser Hall
- Gordinier Hall
- Hash Building
- Lombardo Welcome Center
- Senior Class Gift – Gazebo by the pond
- Stayer Hall
- Tanger House
- Tell School of Music
- The Ware Center
- Wickersham Hall
Antonnen Lobby at Pucillo Gymnasium
Pucillo Gymnasium is multipurpose indoor athletics building names for John A. Pucillo, professor and Director of Health Education, coach, and Director of Athletics. In 2017 the lobby underwent extensive renovations and was renamed in honor of Dr. Ralph (Doc) and Judith Anttonen a dedication ceremony on November 15, 2017.
Bassler Hall, built as an extension of Myers Hall to the Geography Department, was named for Henry M. Bassler (1926-1957), Assistant Professor and Chairman of the Geography Department. He was the first active professor to have a professional society named for him, the Bassler Geographic Society. It underwent major renovations in 1996 and is now part of the Velma A. Dilworth and Clair R. McCollough Communications Complex and Broadcast Studio.
A graduate of Millersville Normal School in 1917, Daniel Luke Biemesderfer (1894-1989) became president of Millersville State Teachers College in 1943, a position he held until his retirement in 1965. Active in both the school and the community, Dr. Biemesdefer and his wife Elva, class of 1917 (1898-2001), were well-known and loved by students who attended the school. He made significant improvement in the educational programs at MSTC, providing leadership for the college through the war years and beyond. He is remembered by Biemesderfer Center, which currently houses the administrative offices of the president and provost. Initially built as the library, the building was rededicated in 1972.
Duncan Alumni House
Dr. William Duncan centered his career at Millersville, enjoying a 46-year association with the college. He came to Millersville in 1935, completed his two-year course in 1936, and taught in Strasburg while meeting the requirements for a bachelor’s degree at Millersville (granted in 1940). After several years teaching, serving in World War II, and earning a master’s degree at Penn State University, he returned to Millersville in 1947 as a social studies teacher. He then devoted his time to administrative duties. He held such positions as the director of admissions, registrar, acting dean of instruction and dean of student affairs prior to his appointment as president (1968-1981).
The Francine McNairy Library & Learning Forum at Ganser Hall
Originally known as the Ganser Library, the college library opened with a book walk in 1967. It was named for Helen A. Ganser (1911-1952) librarian and head of the Science Department. In 2011-2013 the library underwent a major renovation and in October 2013 was rededicated as Francine G. McNairy Library and Learning Forum with the tower being Ganser Hall. Dr. McNairy took office as Millersville’s 13th president in 2003, after nine years as provost. She was the first black woman to lead a Pennsylvania state university.
Gordinier Hall was built in 1966 and serves as the Millersville dining and conference facility. The building is named for Charles H. Gordinier who began teaching at the Millersville Normal School in 1911. He was named principal in 1917 and became the first Teachers College president in 1927. The building was last renovated in 2018 to include the Look Out.
Charles and Mary Hash Building was built as the Model School to serve pupils of the community as well as the students of the normal school for practice teaching. Plans for the new Model were announced in the November 1899 Normal Journal. The building opened for use in the Fall of 1901. In 1921 the Training School library opened. In 1968 it was rededicated as Myers Hall, named for Carrie E. Myers (1885-1923), an 1884 graduate of the normal school who joined the faculty of the Model School and became its superintendent. In 1996 this building underwent major renovations and was dedicated as the Charles and Mary Hash Building. Along with Bassler Hall these buildings are known as the Velma A. Dilworth McCollough and Clair R. McCollough Communications Complex and Broadcast Studio.
Lombardo Welcome Center
Samuel N. and Dena M. Lombardo Welcome Center opened in February 2018 as a net-zero energy building. It currently houses the office of admissions.
Senior Class Gift – Gazebo by the pond
The class of 1993 raised funds to contribute to the lakeside gazebo.
Samuel Bechtel Stayer graduated from Millersville in 1913 with scholastic honors and a first prize in student teaching. After serving in the armed forces during World War I, he returned to Millersville in 1921 as a social studies teacher and education instructor. Stayer Hall was originally known as Landes Hall, a dormitory for both men and women named for Amanda Landes, the valedictorian of the class of 1855. She joined the faculty upon graduation and became head of the Reading and Elocution Department. In 2008 Landes Hall was renovated for class use for the School of Education and rededicated as Stayer Hall, the first green building on campus.
Tanger House was built in 1930 and was known as the President’s House until its rededication in 1999. It was designed by Emlen Urban and has served as the home of the president since its original dedication. Landis Tanger was the first president to reside in the house.
Tell School of Music
The Tell School of Music historically marks the first time in Millersville’s history that a school has been named in recognition of a donor. Patrick J. Tell is a local entrepreneur and philanthropist.
The Ware Center
The Ware Center, at 42 N. Prince St in downtown Lancaster, honors Paul W. and Judy S. Ware, local philanthropists and long-time supporters of higher education. The building, designed by architect Philip Johnson, was created and built as a world-class center for musical performance, practice and teaching and opened its doors in 2008. In 2010 Millersville University took over the facility, which was purchased by the Commonwealth in March 2011. In addition to offering a performance venue, the Ware Center is the academic home to Nonprofit Resource Network.
Wickerham Hall served as the principal building on campus for several years. James Pyle Wickersham was one of the founders of the normal school and served as its second principal. Wickersham wrote extensively about the history of education in Pennsylvania, methods of instruction, philosophy of education, school of economy, government, geography and the and necessity of normal schools for the teaching profession. Wickersham’s heirs presented his library as a foundation collection for Millersville’s library including pre-1900 text s and books on methods of teaching.