Frequently Asked Questions

How long are my children covered under my health care plan

Your dependent children can remain covered under your plan until they are 26 years old.  For adult children (ages 19 to 26), employees must sign an attestation indicating that the adult child does not have other health care coverage available through an employer.  Adult children cannot be covered under your plan if they have other coverage available through an employer (either their own employer or a spouse's plan.) If your adult child becomes eligible for other employer-based coverage, you must contact the Office of Human Resources at extension 4950 to have them removed from your plan. 

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

My adult child is turning 26.  What are his/her options with regard to health care coverage?

Your child will be offered COBRA continuation for a period of 36 months.  COBRA continuation offers the student the exact type of coverage he/she had under their parent's plan, however there is a monthly charge for continuation of coverage.  You may contact the Office of Human Resources at extension 4950 for information on COBRA premiums.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

What number(s) do I call when I have problems with my benefits?

If you have questions regarding claims or coverage under your health benefits, you can call the phone number on your insurance card.  In addition, you can contact Human Resources Services at x4950 to help you resolve problems with your benefits.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

What number do I call with questions regarding my retirement?

  • SERS (State Employee Retirement System): 800-633-5461
  • PSERS (Pennsylvania State Employees Retirement System): 717-795-9245
  • TIAA-CREF: 800-842-2010 (Philadelphia Regional office) or visit their website at
  • VALIC: 800-548-9651
  • ING: 800-525-4225
  • Fidelity: 800-841-3363

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for retiree health benefits?

Eligibility for majority-paid retiree health benefits varies based on several factors including your age, years of service, hire date, and collective bargaining agreement.  Because these factors can vary on an individual basis, you should contact the Office of Human Resources at extension 4950 to verify your eligibility.  This should be done before you have made the decision to retire. 

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

I am considering retiring from the University.  What steps are involved in this process?

The checklist at the link below can assist with important steps and timeframes when considering retirement:

Faculty Retirement Checklist

Staff Retirement Checklist

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

If I terminate employment with Millersville University, when does my health care coverage terminate?

Health care benefits terminate as of midnight of the day that you terminate with Millersville University.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

Under what terms am I eligible for majority-paid health care upon retirement from Millersville University?

Please contact Human Resources Services at x4950 for specific information regarding eligibility for health care coverage at retirement.

                                                                                                                  Back to Frequently Asked Questions

What does the term "vested" mean with respect to retirement?

With relationship to retirement, the term "vested" relates to eligibility to receive a monthly benefit from your retirement fund (State Employees Retirement System/Public School Employees Retirement System) if you terminate state service prior to "normal" retirement age. If you terminate state service prior to "normal" retirement age and you are vested, you may be eligible to receive monthly benefit from the state share that will be actuarially reduced based on your age. You could also elect to vest - leave your accumulated deductions in the retirement system and elect not to receive a monthly benefit when you leave state service. After you vest, your retirement benefit will be based on credited services and earnings. No extra credit will be earned during your vested period except for interest on accumulated deductions.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions