Arriving at Millersville - Next Steps
What to do before you arrive:
STEP 1: RECEIVE YOUR IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTS
- Your immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019) is included in the packet mailed to you. Please double-check the documents for any errors.
- Students already in the U.S. on a student visa should complete the Transfer In Form with their current immigration officer and email it to International.Services@Millersville.edu.
STEP 2: CHOOSE YOUR HOUSING
- Millersville University freshman and any students with fewer than 60 credits must live on campus. Read about on-campus housing here.
- The Office of International Programs and Services will work with exchange students regarding their specific housing option(s).
- Information on exceptions to the on-campus housing requirement can be found on the MU Housing website.
- If you are approved to live off-campus more information regarding off-campus housing refer here.
STEP 3: OBTAIN YOUR STUDENT VISA
- Pay the REQUIRED SEVIS Fee online at fmjfee.com.
- Review the visa appointment Practice Questions.
- Schedule an appointment at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy to apply for the F-1 or J-1 Student Visa.
- Bring your SEVIS fee receipt, Millersville University admission letter, official bank statements, I-20 or DS-2019 Form, and passport with you to this appointment.
- Visit travel.state.gov for more information on obtaining a visa.
- Inform the Office of International Programs and Services on the outcome of your visa appointment.
STEP 4: ACCESS YOUR MU ACCOUNTS
- The Office of International Programs and Services will email you your Millersville ID (M number), username, password, and Millersville email address.
- Be sure to log in to your account before coming to MU and remember your password. You will use your accounts during orientation and need to be able to login.
STEP 5: COMPLETE YOUR HEALTH EVALUATION FORM
- The Health Evaluation Form is required of all students attending Millersville University. Students will not be permitted to attend classes at MU or live in the university arranged housing without completing them.
- All forms must be completed in English or be submitted with a certified translation.
- Completing your Health Evaluation Form is a lengthy process, so we strongly suggest that you start working on them immediately. You can find instructions for completing the form HERE.
- Completed forms should be sent to Millersville University Health Services, as is outlined in the packet.
STEP 6: PURCHASE HEALTH INSURANCE
- All Millersville students are required to have health insurance.
- Read about health insurance requirements and options for international students before purchasing your health insurance.
- Insurance coverage start date should be your arrival date in the U.S., or the start of orientation if you currently live in the U.S.
- After purchasing health insurance, please email proof of insurance to International.Services@Millersville.edu. If you already have health insurance other than our suggestion, complete the included health insurance waiver and send it to the email address above before arriving to Millersville University.