International Exchange & Visiting Students

Millersville University hosts international exchange and non-degree students each semester. The International Exchange & Visiting Student Program at Millersville offers non-degree international students the opportunity to study between one and four semesters at Millersville, either to earn academic credit or improve their English language. Note: This program is for international students ONLY. 

Exchange & Visiting Student Program Guide


Your home university should send the following information to nominate a student: First Name, Last Name, Email Address, Start Term, Length of Study



Complete the International Exchange & Visiting Student Program application by completing the following items. Submit all documentation by the deadlines below for guaranteed on-campus housing. Late applicants can be accepted.

Fall Term: April 1st
Spring Term: October 1st


You will need to upload the following documents on your application: 

  • University Transcripts (Both English and native language)
  • Copy of Passport Biographical Page
  • Proof of Financial Support (Supporting bank statements or sponsorship letters)
  • Proof of English Proficiency
  • (Graduate Visiting Students Only) Personal Goal Statement/Essay: Why are you interested in studying at Millersville University? What are your professional goals?
  • (Graduate Visiting Students Only) 3 Letters of Recommendation

    Partner students: Acceptance letters along with immigration paperwork will be mailed directly to the sponsoring organization or the international office of your home university.

    Individual applicants: Acceptance letters will be mailed to the home address provided on your application.

    Upon acceptance, students will receive a series of emails from office staff regarding all important information prior to arrival, such as:

    • Visa and immigration information
    • Important dates
    • Confirming housing, meal plans, and course registration
    • Millersville email and account information
    • Financial and billing information
    • Health insurance and medical forms
    • Flight and arrival information

    To see semester start and end dates, visit the Millersville University academic calendar.


    Once you have your Millersville student ID and login information you may begin selecting courses. To research courses for the specific term you want to study at Millersville, you need to access the Registrar's Website. 

    Search course website

    The above link brings you to the Registrar’s Office website. Under WEB SCHEDULES you can look up courses by subject, department, or other categories. Our office recommends looking up courses by using the Search by Subject.

    The Academic Calendar is also listed on the Registrar's Office website. You can view important semester dates, as well as access the university course catalog. The catalog provides an entire list of courses at Millersville with short course descriptions. 

    To search courses:

    • Select Search by Subject
    • Select the term for the session you need to register for.
    • Select the subject by scrolling through the subject list.
    • Select the appropriate course type (Undergraduate or Graduate Courses) and All Courses.
    • Click Submit. You will then see the list of all courses offered in that subject during the term you selected.

    Classes will appear in a chart with the following information:

    • CRN number,
    • Course code indicating the subject,
    • Credits,
    • Course title,
    • Days and times,
    • Location building and room number (You may see “TBD” To Be Determined, which means the location may be updated closer to the start of the term),
    • Name of the professor,
    • The number of open/available seats.
    • The final column is only necessary for degree-seeking students, it will indicate which general education attributes are assigned.

    Important Notes:

    • The words course and class are considered to have the same meaning.
    • Be sure to communicate with your academic advisor at your home university so that they approve the classes you are planning to take at MU.
    • You only have 1 week to add or change class schedules after the start of the academic term.
    • To find out more information about what is taught in each course, you may click on the title for a short description.

    Prerequisites & Corequisites:
    Under the course title in red text, important notices are listed about the class, including if there are any required prerequisite courses. Prerequisites are classes that students must take before they are allowed to take another course. For example, you cannot take an upper level Spanish Language course if you have not taken the beginner level Spanish Language course. Corequisites are classes that must be taken at the same time. 

    The prerequisites will be checked and compared to your academic transcript from your home university to see if you qualify for that class.

  • On-Campus Housing & Meal Plans
    If you are from the partner program listed below, then you must live in on-campus housing according to the agreement between your university or program and Millersville University. You will be assigned a Double Occupancy Semi – Suite. This means you will share a bedroom with one student. Two bedrooms make up a “suite,” Each double suite has two bathrooms. 
    • Universidad de Burgos
    • Université de Caen Normandie
    • Kansai Gaidai University
    • Pontificia Universidad Católica De Valparaíso
    • University of KwaZulu-Natal
    All other students have a choice between on-campus or off-campus housing during application. Exchange and Visiting non-degree students are generally housing in South Village, although not exclusively. Both American students and international students are housed in the Villages.

    room designs, layouts, and costs

    If you are from the partner program listed below, then you will be assigned the Ville 19 Meal Plan, according to the agreement between your university or program and Millersville University. 
    • Universidad de Burgos 
    • Université de Caen Normandie
    • Kansai Gaidai University
    • Pontificia Universidad Católica De Valparaíso
    • University of KwaZulu-Natal

    All other students living on campus have a choice to which meal plan they would like to have. Each meal plan provides a specific number of on-campus meals per week and additional flexible "Flex" spending money for grab-and-go items coffee. 


  • Off-Campus Housing & Meals

    Students not required by their home university to live on-campus have a choice as to which type of housing you would like to live in according to the agreement between your university or program and Millersville University.

    • If you chose to live ON-Campus, a room will be guaranteed and reserved.
    • If you chose to live OFF-Campus, you are on your own with regards to securing housing with your apartment and no room will be reserved for you in the dormitories.

    Immerse International: Immerse was founded in 1987 to be a multicultural community where international students can thrive in personal relationships, professional development and spiritual formation. They are not part of Millersville University. Click HERE for more information.

    Most rooms are double occupancy. The leases/contracts are for 12 months, but shorter terms can be arranged upon request. 25% of the residents are American students that have expressed interest in making friendships with international students. Utilities, WiFi, Cable TV, and meals/self-service food is included.

    Student Lodging Inc.: This company is an off-campus housing provider many Millersville students use. SLI strives to give students more freedom than residence hall living, but keep the safety and security as close as possible to the standards on-campus. Their properties are all within a close proximity of MU. Click HERE for more information.

    Other Options: There are a number of shared local apartments; many are in walking distance to MU’s campus. If you decide that you wish to live in an apartment, you will be solely responsible for contacting your landlord, arranging your deposit payment which will be due before you arrive in the US, your check-in day, obtaining furniture, finding roommates, etc.

    *Keep in mind that these apartments are all unfurnished so you would be responsible for purchasing and transporting furniture once you arrive.

    If you live at Immerse International, food items are provided in the student kitchen for self-service meals.

    If you are in an apartment you will be responsible for cooking meals on your own. There is a John Herr’s grocery store within a 20 minute walk or a 5 minute bus ride. There is also a Weis grocery store within a 10 minute bus ride.

  • Local Transportation

    International students can use the Red Rose Transit Authority (RRTA) to access local buses. MU students may access the MU Xpress, MU Park City Xpress and Route 16 at no charge by showing their student ID cards, which students receive during International Student Orientation. It is important to know that there can often be delays for bus routes in the United States so be sure to leave a bit early.

    Note: These bus routes are only active during the fall and spring academic terms, and are generally not provided during holidays.

    MU students who would like to travel to other locations on RRTA's buses will need to transfer bus lines. Students can show their student ID cards for the base fare on Route 16 and MU Park City Xpress and ask the driver for a transfer slip. When you transfer to another bus, give the driver the transfer slip and additional money.

    There is an Amtrak train station in Lancaster city, about 10-15 minutes from campus. The Lancaster station is connected to the Philadelphia station. From the Philadelphia station, students can access, New York City, Baltimore, and Washington D.C.

    Students can use Uber, Lyft, or other local taxi services. Many of these require the use of a smart phone and require downloading a phone application.