MU Jazz Bands
Millersville University Jazz Bands
JAZZ ENSEMBLE &
JAZZ LAB BAND
MU Jazz Bands…
…Are open to ALL students.
...May be taken for academic credit.
Dr. Keith Wiley - Director, MU Jazz Ensemble
Prof. Ryan Kauffman - Director, MU Jazz Lab
717-871-4700 (to leave a message with front office)
AUDITION MATERIALS - FALL 2018
Audition Times Sign-Up Sheet Posted near Room 215
THURSDAY, AUGUST 30 4:30-10:00 PM Winter VPAC - Room 100
FRIDAY, AUGUST 31 10:00-11:30 AM; 1:30 PM-3:30 PM Winter VPAC - Room TBD
ALL INSTRUMENTS (Except Drums) - Prepare the following:
- BLUES SCALES - Select two blues scales (2 octaves) that will demonstrate your range.
ALL INSTRUMENTS (Including Drums)
- SWING ETUDE - Download the pdf below and scroll down to your instrument.
ALL INSTRUMENTS (Except Drums)
- IMPROVISATION: F Concert Blues - Download the pdf in your instrument's key. Prepare as directed.
- Demonstrate 8 - 16 bars (with fills) of each of the following styles:
- Easy/Slow Swing or Ballad (with Brushes)
- Medium Swing (4/4 and 3/4)
- Up-tempo Swing (4/4 Tempo=200 bpm)
- Bossa Nova (4/4 Medium tempo)
- Samba (up-tempo in 2/2)
The MU JAZZ ENSEMBLE is comprised of 18-20 players based on a "big band" instrumentation. Members are chosen by audition each fall. The MUJE performs both on an off-campus each semester featuring a repertoire that includes classic swing, jazz standards, and contemporary fusion styles. Guest artists have included Byron Stripling, Ernie Watts, John Fedchock, Larry McWilliams, Dean Sorenson, Ronald Carter,
Rehearsals: Thursday, 7:00-9:30 pm WVPAC 100
The MU JAZZ LAB BAND is an ensemble of flexible instrumentation (woodwinds, brasses, strings, piano, bass, drums, guitar) that accommodates a wide range of student experience levels. No previous jazz experience is required, but students are asked to audition individually during the first two rehearsals to determine ability and part assignment. Less experienced musicians develop reading and interpretation skills while more advanced players are given a considerable opportunity to further develop their improvisational abilities. Varied opportunities for performance are available and academic credit is available for all students.
Rehearsals: Monday & Wednesday, 4:00-5:30 pm; WVPAC 101