Online Bachelor's in Business Administration Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Are there prerequisites for the program? Is there anything I can take in advance to help prepare?
- Is your program accredited?
- Is the program 100% online?
- How much is tuition?
- How long will it take me to complete the whole program?
- How many credits is the program? What courses are required for completion?
- Are there any certain times that I am required to be online?
- How much time per week should I set aside for each class?
- What exactly is a “cohort?” What do their names mean?
- How often do cohorts start?
- What are the basic requirements I must fulfill to be considered for admission?
- When can I apply? How far in advance should I apply?
- Will I have to register for my courses?
- When can I expect to know what classes I will need to take? Will you evaluate my transcripts?
- What kind of structure are the learning modules offered in? How many modules should I expect there to be in each class?
- What sort of technology will I need to succeed in the online program?
- What kind of support will I receive during my time in the program?
- How will I be billed?
- What resources, like advising, tutoring, or technical support, will be available to me as a student?
- What kind of technical support will be available to me as a student?
- What are the major differences between the face-to-face program and the
- I’m already a part of the face-to-face Business Program at Millersville University. Can I still join the online program? Is there a cost to switch?
- If I start with the Business Online Program and decide I’d rather go with face-to-face, can I switch? Is there a cost to switch?
- What are possible career opportunities after completing the Business Online Program?
Since the Online Business Administration Program is a degree completion program, it is designed for students who have either completed an Associate's degree or as little as 30-45 college credits from an accredited institution.
To find out if your previous coursework will transfer, take a look at the Transfer Equivalency Page.
Yes. Millersville University’s Business Administration program is internationally accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) to offer a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Business Administration. You may visit their website at: https://www.acbsp.org/
Yes. Our Business Online Program is completed 100% online. All courses required for the program can be taken completely online. While our online students do have access to on-campus resources, they will not be required to come to campus at any point during the program.
Tuition is calculated on a per-credit basis, with fully-online students paying $373.00 per credit (in-state rate, including fees, as of Fall 2019, same as last year). For comparison, face-to-face students pay about $429.75 per credit (in-state rate, including fees, as of Fall 2019, same as last year).
(Students with a residency out-of-state do pay a slightly higher rate; check the Tuition and Fees Chart for more details, and be sure to contact the Office of Online Programs with any questions.)
Most students can expect to complete the program in about two (2) academic years, part-time with 2-3 courses per semester. Depending on your previous coursework, your actual program length may vary. Once you are accepted, you can contact your Academic Advisor for more information on your academic plan and program length.
The Business Administration online program consists of 120 total credits, which does include transfer credits.
BUAD161 Principles of Accounting I
BUAD162 Principles of Accounting II
BUAD202 Legal Environment for Business
BUAD206 Business Research Methods
BUAD231 Principles of Marketing
BUAD251 Principles of Management
BUAD307 Management Information Systems
BUAD341 Managerial Finance I
BUAD352 Human Resources Management
BUAD358 Management Science
BUAD455 Strategy & Policy
MATH151 Applied Calculus for Business
MATH235 Introduction to Statistics OR MATH130 Elements of Statistics I
General Business Courses:
MKTG 332 Consumer Behavior
MGMT 355 Business and Society
MGMT 357 International Management
MGMT 375 Business Web Development
MKTG 435 International Marketing
*An additional 9 credits in Business departmental electives will be required.
**Remaining General Education and Open Elective requirements may vary based on transfer courses.
Our Business Online Program courses are typically asynchronous; in other words, you will typically not be required to be online at a particular time. Should a course ever have anything set at a specific time your professor would let you know ahead of time.
In general, for each three credit course, it is recommended that you set aside at least 10-15 hours per week for study and assignments. For courses with more credits, it is recommended to budget additional time for study and assignments.
The MU Business Online Program is offered via a cohort model, which means that most students begin and end the program with the same group, or cohort, of students, proceeding together at the same pace.
Cohort names are based upon the starting semester, for example:
- Cohort Spring 2020 begins in Spring 2020
- Cohort Fall 2020 begins in Fall 2020
There are two starts throughout the year: Fall (August) and Spring (January).
- You must have successfully completed an Associate’s Degree OR have at least 30-45 transferable college credits
- You must have at least a 2.0 previous GPA
- After applying, you must send in copies of all official transcripts from any higher education institutions previously attended.
The Business Online Program has rolling admissions, so you can apply at any time throughout the year. We highly recommend you apply as early as possible, as cohorts sometimes fill up several months in advance.
If you do not see your preferred term listed on the application, please email OnlinePrograms@millersville.edu or give us a call at (717) 871-7200 letting us know what you prefer, and we will let you know if it would be possible to accommodate you.
The Office of Online Programs will always automatically register you for your Business major courses throughout your time in the program, in order to ensure you remain with your cohort (or another advisement plan).
You must consult with your academic advisor before registering for any general education or elective courses (though the staff in the Office of Online Programs is happy to help with the actual registration once you have discussed it with your advisor).
Official Transfer Credit Evaluations are completed once an application has been completed and when a student has been offered a seat for acceptance. If you are accepted, your transfer evaluation will be included with your offer letter, which is mailed directly to you. After the evaluation has been done, you can contact your academic advisor for more information on what courses you will need to graduate.
What kind of structure are the learning modules offered in? How many modules should I expect there to be in each class?
Each course is offered for the full 14-week semester length. You should expect to complete readings, online videos, and other activities, along with approximately 2-3 assignments per week. The online courses are very structured, and have specific due dates for all assignments. After completing and submitting an assignment, you can typically expect feedback (and a grade) from your professor within 5-6 days. We understand our students are working adults, so we are very accommodating when students request additional time for assignments – just be sure to ask in advance!
At the very minimum, you will require a webcam, microphone, and (this is the most important part!) a reliable high-speed Broadband Internet connection. If you think you might need a new device or are wondering if your current device will be enough, just give us in Online Programs a call at (717) 871-7200 and we would be happy to help you out.
We are committed to ensuring that your time in the Business Administration Online Program is successful and pleasant. Even after the admissions process is over, we in the Office of Online Programs will continue to be here to help you with any non-academic questions you may have throughout your program.
Questions on your bill? Trouble with accessing your courses? Need to modify your schedule due to life changes? Your Student Support Specialist will be your main point of contact for all of these things, and more.
For anything academic-related, the Business Department, and your assigned academic advisor, are always there for you. Not sure whether a particular general education course fits in your plan? Trying to decide between different electives? Your advisor can help sort out all of these kinds of questions.
Furthermore, you will be provided with a number of resources to assist you in getting started when you first begin classes. After confirming your acceptance with your acceptance deposit and response form, you will receive a mailed Welcome Packet including information on setting up student accounts and other helpful resources!
You will also be enrolled in our Online Orientation close to your class start date, which will help get you situated in the online space. We do also recommend reviewing our Roadmap to Enrollment, which helps address almost any other questions you could think of! And as always, if you are still stumped, the Office of Online Programs, as well as the Business Department, are here to help you.
Please feel free to review our Online Student Support Resources page for more information on available resources during your online program!
All bills are provided to the student in a strictly electronic format. You may view and pay your bills online through MAX. If you have any general questions on billing, feel free to let the Office of Online Programs know, though for questions relating to your own bill you may wish to contact the Office of Student Accounts at (717) 871-5101.
What resources, like advising, tutoring, or technical support, will be available to me as a student?
As a Millersville University student, you will have access to numerous resources to aid you during and even after your time as a student. This includes (but is certainly not limited to):
- Office of Online Programs
- We in the Office of Online Programs are always here to assist you, from your very first inquiry and beyond. Our Student Support Specialists will be available throughout your time in the Business Online Program to assist you with any non-academic questions or issues you may have.
- Management & Marketing Department
- You can always contact the Management & Marketing Department and your Advisor, with any questions you have. Whether academic, career planning or other professional issues, the Management & Marketing faculty are here to help you!
- Writing Center
- The Writing Center offers both online and in-person tutoring for writing papers, and is a great resource for any writing-intensive courses you may take (keep in mind these services may not be available during the Summer terms).
- As a Business Online student, you will have full access to all Library resources, which includes a huge array of online references, periodicals, and much more. Millersville librarians are available for phone consults and live chats, and if you live nearby, you are also welcome to come visit and utilize the Library’s in-person resources. More information on accessing and utilizing library resources will be provided to you in the Online Orientation.
- IT Help Desk
- For any technical issues you may experience, the Help Desk is available with extended hours to assist you.
- Learning Services
- Learning Services offers many useful workshops (soon to be available online!), provides tutoring services, and coordinates academic accommodations for students with learning and physical disabilities.
- Career Services
- Career Services is available for all students to assist you in preparing for developing and advancing your career during and after your time at Millersville.
You can find more information and additional resources and services available to our online students on our Online Student Support Resources page!
The IT Help Desk is available for almost any technical questions you may have. You are also welcome to contact us in Online Programs as well -- we are happy to help with many general questions, such as advice on purchasing a new computer or assistance in accessing your accounts.
Local students are also welcome to bring their computer in directly to the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for repairs, free of charge. If you’re not local, convenient remote assistance is also available from the Help Desk.
Need some help? Try our online support or call the Help Desk at 717-871-7777.
Help Desk Hours:
- Fall/Spring hours: Mon-Thurs 7a.m. – 7p.m.; Fri 7a.m. 5p.m.
- Summer hours: Mon-Fri 7a.m. – 5p.m.
Overall, the online and face-to-face programs are fairly similar. That said, there are some differences:
- Currently, the only business concentration offered 100% online is Business Administration. There are more concentrations and major options available on campus, in the face-to-face format.
- There is a small difference in cost between the 100% online program and the face-to-face program. (See our answer regarding tuition for more details.)
- Scheduling and pacing
- Online Business Administration courses are typically asynchronous. You will typically not be required to be online at any specific time (which is great for working professionals), although there are specific assignments and deadlines to follow.
- The Business Online Program follows a cohort model, meaning you will proceed through the program with the same group of students (though we are willing to be flexible if you have any specific scheduling needs).
- Delivery format
- The Business Online Program is 100% online, and you are never required to come to campus (though you are certainly welcome)! The face-to-face program requires in-person meetings at specific times each week.
I’m already a part of the face-to-face Business Program at Millersville University. Can I still join the online program? Is there a cost to switch?
If you have applied, been accepted to, or even started with the face-to-face Business Program at Millersville University, you can switch your delivery format. You will need to meet in person with your Academic Advisor in order to get their approval. You will then need to fill out a brief Change of Delivery Form (F2F to Online) with your advisor’s signature. Either way, you won’t be charged anything extra.
If I start with the Business Online Program and decide I’d rather go with face-to-face, can I switch? Is there a cost to switch?
Just as with students switching from face-to-face to online, if you have applied, been accepted to, or started with the Business Online Program and you wish to switch your delivery format to face-to-face, you can. You will need to meet in person with your Academic Advisor in order to get their approval. You will also need to fill out a brief Change of Delivery Form (Online to F2F), and there are no additional charges.
Millersville’s Business Administration graduates are competitive, and many succeed in landing their first post-graduation job in their chosen field in an increasingly complex job market. Recent examples include:
- Cisco Systems,
- Dell, Inc.,
- Hershey Entertainment & Resorts,
- Lancaster General Health,
- Morgan Stanley,
- and others.
Our Career services office also offers assistance in preparation for interviews and potential careers.