Internship And Volunteer Opportunities
Internships & Volunteer
There are a variety of opportunities available for Criminology, Sociology and Anthropology students to gain hands-on experience in the field. Click on the links below for more information about employment, internship, and volunteer opportunities.
Interested in Volunteering?
Please see Volunteer Central, the Office of Experiential Learning and Career Management's webpage.
Below are opportunities for SOAN students to gain paid and unpaid internship experience in the field.
Experience of fulfilling internship working with youthful females/males as a case manager. Must be a social work or a sociology major.
- Learn the state regulations for residential placement.
- Organize and schedule learning experiences for students.
- Attend court hearings.
- Learn to develop monthly reports.
- Develop individual counseling skills.
- Develop individual service plans.
Contact Ralph Moyer at 717-923-0492
443 Fairview Avenue | Lancaster, PA 17603 | 717-392-8836
Qualified interns should have an understanding of the factors of socioeconomic inequality/homelessness. Previous policy-related writing experience preferred.
- Learn about advocacy initiatives
- Complete research projects related to HFH advocacy
- Research local government officials to help promote the passing of bills
Contact Andrew Szalay, Executive Director by email: Andrew@llhfh.org
Millersville University Police Department
Lebanon House 237 N. George St. Millersville, PA 17551 | 717-871-4357
Interns are responsible for:
- Assisting officers as needed to uphold the safety and security of the campus and community
- Observing officers
- Conducting themselves in and appropriate and professional manner
- Have a genuine interest in law enforcement
- Have a valid driver's license
- Have good conduct standing/clean criminal history
- Have a GPA higher than 2.0
- Be in good physical condition
Contact Sergeant Jason Flood by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PA Office of Homeland Security
1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg PA, 17110 | 717-346-4460
Interns are responsible for:
- Prepping for table top exercises
- Taking notes during table top exercise
- Writing after action reports
- Working on various other projects going on in the office
- Good student
- Good writing
- Interest in emergency management or cyber security
Contact Ronald Stanko, Deputy Director at email@example.com
Susquehanna Service Dogs - Keystone Human Services
1078 Gravel Hill Road Grantville, PA 17028
- Participate in demonstrations at the Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute
- Assist trainers with advanced training to prepare dogs for their work as future service dogs
- Assist director in program development, grant writing, and collection of statistics
- Review applications and records for people on the waiting list
- Attend demonstrations in local communities
- Participate in Canine Therapeutic Evaluations
- Attend home visits for clients on the waiting list
- General kennel and facility maintenance
- Devoted to human service work, with preference given to sociology or psychology majors.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Complete FBI fingerprinting clearance, child abuse history clearance and ACT 34 clearance
Contact Ms. Pamela Foreman, Director at 717-599-5920 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
York County Victim and Witness Unit Internship
45 North George St. York, PA 17401. Phone: (717)-771-9600
Interns are given a great opportunity to observe the court system and work closely with Victim/Witness Coordinators.
- Have a major in sociology, criminal justice, social work, or have plans of entering a related field such as: law enforcement, criminal law, victim’s services, etc.
- Pass a background check
Contact Faith Uhler-Meyers by phone 717-771-9600 ext. 3045 or email FIUhler-Myers@yorkcountypa.gov
For more information on internship opportunities, visit ELCM website.