MAKE SPORT YOUR BUSINESS...
You have already demonstrated an interest in
If accepted into the degree program, you could begin taking classes the semester right after you graduate from MU, or you could take some time off and begin your master’s degree at a later date.
Did you know...
- A master’s degree requires far fewer credits (only 36) than a bachelor’s degree.
- The Master’s of Education (M.Ed.) in
SportManagement includes traditional face-to-face courses, blended, and distance learning courses.
- You can work and take courses towards your graduate degree as graduate students usually take 3- 9 credits a semester instead of 12-19.
- A limited number of Graduate Assistantships are available on campus that
payfor tuition and includea small salary as well.
What can I do with a Master’s degree in
- With a M.Ed. in Sport Management students are working in all of the sport industries including professional sport, stadium and facility management, as intercollegiate coaches, athletic directors, conference and league managers, the PIAA, PSU Bryce Jordan Center, Hershey Bears, Giant Stadium, the Eagles, the 76’ers, and area colleges including Franklin & Marshall, Elizabethtown, York, Thaddeus Stevens, Messiah, Lebanon Valley, and Penn State.
a M.Ed. in Sport Management students are working as interscholastic coaches and athletic directors (Oley Valley High School, Lancaster Mennonite, Donegal School District, Lampeter-Strasburg School District).
a M.Ed. in Sport Management students are working for the Lancaster County Recreation Commission, as directors of university intramural and campus recreation programs, executive directors and fitness directors at YMCAs and fitness centers (including the SMC Fitness Center here at Millersville - Sara Burcin is one of our alums).
a M.Ed. in Sport Management students are working in sportmedia including newspaper, radio, and television (Sport Information directors at Franklin & Marshall College and Elizabethtown College are alumni of our program).
a M.Ed. in Sport Management students are employed by international and national amateur sport including USA cycling, lacrosse, tennis, golf, and swimming (US Olympic Committee Director of Coaching Ed.).
- With a M.Ed. in Sport Management students are employed in sport marketing with companies including Coors, Pepsi, Coke, Budweiser, Nike, and Reebok.
- With a M.Ed. in Sport Management students are employed in facility and event management (Millersville University and Tulane University).
Where do I go for more information about a career in
- Visit the
SportManagement website at https://www.millersville.edu/wssd/graduate/index.php.
What should I do if I want more information?
- Contact the
SportManagement Coordinator (Dr. Mowrey) Rebecca.Mowrey@millersville.edu, or the SportManagement Graduate Assistant email@example.com.
What should I do if I wish to apply?
- Visit the Graduate Studies website at https://www.millersville.edu/graduate/. To apply online visit https://www.applyweb.com/apply/pamillg/apply.html.
To apply paper-based, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Graduate Studies by phone (717) 872-3099 or by email at email@example.com.
When can I start?
SportManagement degree uses rolling admissions, which means that applications are reviewed as they are received. Students may start classes during any semester (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer I, Summer II, and Summer III), as our courses do not have prerequisites.
What is a Graduate Assistantship (GA)?
- Graduate assistantships are available to master’s degree students across campus in a variety of administrative offices and academic departments.
- The benefits of being a GA are more than financial, as the experience serves as a contribution to intellectual and professional development.
- The majority of our graduate assistantships are full-time whereby the graduate assistant would work twenty (20) hours per week in the position. Currently, a tuition waiver of 24 credits per year and a stipend of $5,000 per year are awarded to full-time first-year GAs.
- A limited number of part-time graduate assistantships are available whereby the graduate assistant would work ten (10) hours per week in the position and receive half of the tuition waiver and stipend (listed above).
What is the deadline to apply for a Graduate Assistantship position?
- The deadline to apply is February 1st.
- Visit https://www.millersville.edu/graduate/currentstudents/assistantships.php for more information.
How do I learn about Financial Aid?
- Visit the financial aid website at https://www.millersville.edu/finaid/studentinfo/graduate.php or call the office at (717) 872-3026.
Where do graduate students live?
- Some graduate students commute, some choose to live in and around the Millersville Borough, and in the summers there may be limited opportunities to stay on campus in the residence halls.
- If interested in summer on-campus housing, visit https://www.millersville.edu/housing/.