African American/ Latino Alumni Scholarship Program
What is the African American/ Latino Alumni Scholarship Program?
Established in 1992, the African American/ Latino Alumni Scholarship Program (AA/LAS) strives to recognize outstanding, involved African-American and Latino juniors and seniors and seeks to aid them in graduating from Millersville University. The AA/LAS scholarship was initially endowed in 1997 and continues to grow each year through generous support from alumni, friends, organizations, businesses, and parents.
What We Do
- The AA/LAS committee awards up to three, one-time undergraduate scholarships each year to dedicated students of great promise.
- All applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and have completed at least 30 credits.
- Candidates for the AA/LAS scholarship must complete an application, provide a letter of recommendation regarding community service, and demonstrate effective written communication skills through an essay.
- One graduate award is given in memory of Keith S. Mills '78 who served on the committee until his death in 2003. Applicants for the graduate scholarship must have 12 credits with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Meet the 2014-15 AA/LAS Scholarship Recipients
Nathaniel Miranda from York, Pa is a senior majoring in finance and accounting. After graduation, Nathaniel plans to attend graduate school to further his studies in accounting which will better prepare him to pass the CPA exam.
Caryneri Sanchez from Lancaster, Pa will graduate in 2015 with a degree in social work. After graduation Caryneri plans to attend Millersville to pursue a dual master's in Social Work and Emergency Management.
Joshua Bard from New Holland, Pa is a sophomore majoring in biology. After graduation Joshua plans to attand a School of Veterinary Medicine to become an Avian Vet and assist all animals.
How You Can Make a Difference
Gifts from individuals, groups, organizations, and businesses help increase the scholarship amount we can offer. To make your gift online, click here or send a check made payable to Millersville University Foundation with AA/LAS marked in the memo field to: Development Office, Millersville University, PO Box 1002, Millersville, PA 17551
- Tamara Willis, EdD '99, Chair
- Linda E. Bolin '04
- Cassandra Graves, DD '76
- April Lavong '81
- Regina Tellado '95
- Antoine R. Wright '02
- Angel L. Shelley-Royal '02
- Rebecca L. Santiago '08
For more information, please contact Martha MacAdam at 717-871-7520.