Elizabeth Furnace plantation is an unusually intact colonial village. All of the buildings pictured here were constructed prior to 1789, and are in remarkably original condition. In addition, no new building has occurred on the property since the 18th-century, resulting in a cultural landscape rich in authenticity and history. It should be noted that many of the smaller, wooden outbuildings originally present at the furnace have been torn down at some point during the last 250 years. Structures such as blacksmiths shops, a general store, a wood shop, and castings house, and most of the tenant houses, are now either ruins or completely absent from the landscape. The remains of these buildings are now buried archaeological sites, some of which will be investigated in coming years.